Is This What Is Known As Freezing?

Sometimes I want to do something say for example go to my local shop, I think about going but my legs suddenly become very heavy and I don`t want to move, My head wants to but my body dosen`t. I get very frustrated because I have things to do but I can`t seem to tell my body to do it. I have heard of freezing, Is this what I am experiencing? i thought freezing was something only someone with advanced PD had. As I have not been diagnosed for very long I would of thought that it was too soon for me to have this particular symptom. Anyone have any ideas?

From your description, Candy, that doesn't sound to me like freezing.  It sounds more like the lethargy or exhausted feeling that can come with PD.  Freezing occurs in specific movement.  For example, if I am walking and start to take the next step but find that my leg suddenly won't move, that is freezing.  Usually the movement can be induced, but there is an abnormal delay.  Others on the forum will probably give you their experiences with freezing.  I experienced it a few times early in my case of PD but haven't for about 8 or 10 years now.  (I have had PD at least 16 years.)

Best regards!     J

J, How the hell are you doing so well (which is great btw)? Your life doesn't seem to have changed drastically and you're not on a crazy about of medication. Have you been diagnosed with a particular presentation of PD or what do you think it is?

Thanks for answering my questions on other threads.

P

Thanks for the reply J of Grey Cottage and yes actually you have hit the nail on the head, It is a feeling of lethargy and exhaustion that comes on all of a sudden, So this is then a symptom common to PD, I am so glad it isn`t freezing, I was quite concerned about that. Many thanks for the reply. smile

P, I have to admit that I don't know the full explanation.  And my PD doctor has asked me the same question.  I can credit three factors:  regular vigorous exercise, optimism, and the right balance of medications.  But there must also be luck involved or the fortunately slow nature of my case of PD, because I know others who exercise, laugh a lot and don't worry about the future much, and find the best combination of drugs for them yet are not getting the results I am. 

This disease is a puzzle even to the experts, so I certainly don't have the answer for everyone.  How I wish I did!  Just fyi, I am taking Mirapex, Azilect (rasagiline), Amantadine, and a small dose of Sinemet.  I also take supplemental vitamin C, Co-Q10, glucosamin (for arthritis), and Omeprazole (for gastroparesis).

My best wishes,

J

Everyone`s experience of PD is different so my nurse tells me. No two people will have exactly the same symptoms and they will also have different problems, J I am glad that you appear to have a slow progression of the condition and I hope that you continue to do so well. It is a sad fact however that while someone does well, Someone else may have a quick deterioration, Who has this is of course in the lap of the gods. We all travel the same road but at different speeds.

You're absolutely right, Candy!  As I said, "There must also be luck involved . . . ."  Many pwp get the same treatment I do and exercise regularly, yet have much faster cases than mine.  I can't explain it.  Before I started taking medication of any sort, my case was progressing rather rapidly, too.  Then it slowed and has continued slowly ever since.  But it will advance; that is inevitable.

Candy,

There is a difference between not wanting to move and being unable to move, the latter IS freezing unfortunately. My OH's head tells  then they want to move but they can't, they freeze,.

My OH has such an experience most days, one minute they are mobile, the next they cannot move no matter how much I encourage them or they want to. It eventually passes but it can be as little as 10 minutes or sometime hours before they are back to being able to move body, hands or legs.

Maybe you need   to look at your meds.

Hi, after reading above i was interested in J of Grey Cottage's post and looked up Omeprazole and  gastroparesis and the link between Helicobacter Pylori and Parkinsons as thought i'd read something similar before....... J of GC when did you start taking this drug, was it before or after PD diagnosis? I've always suffered with excessive belching and wonder about what's happening in my gut to produce it, wouldn't it be good if this drug could stop the toxins this bacteria produces & help slow down my Parkinsons! big grin look forward to replies!

Diane

Thanks for the reply Benji,

My meds have been increased now, So it will be interesting to see whether things improve, I have not yet had an episode when I am walking and the feeling of not being able to move comes on, It always happens to me when I think about moving or walking, I know PD has all sorts of weird and wonderful effects on the body, But Once the increase in meds kicks in maybe it will stop. Thanks for reply will let you know if things improve take care.

Hi, Diane --  I failed to mention in my post that Domperidone is the drug I was prescribed for gastroparesis.  At the onset of PD, I developed gastroparesis but had no idea it could be related to PD, nor did my gastroenterologist, apparently.  In any case, the Domperidone completely eliminated the symptoms (nausea and loss of appetite due to abnormally slow stomach functions).  It was at least five years later that I noticed symptoms of acid reflux and began taking Omeprazole.  I now take it most days but occasionally skip to see if I can do without it.  So it was definitely after my PD was underway that I started on Omeprazole.

When my gasroparesis was diagnosed, I had just recovered from an infection of Campolobacter, which has been renamed, I understand, since that time.  Is that, by any chance, Helicobacter?

Hope this clarifies my previous post.    J

Hi, have you sen this excellent information that I found on this web site - here is the link

egards, David

Hi All

From my point of view I will try to describe what I believe to be freezing.

Sometimes when I get up after sitting in a chair watching television Its like I stand up straight and then I have to physically look at my legs to be able to turn to the left and walk towards another room or the kitchen.

I also then sometimes stagger and I use the wall to stop me from falling and then I can walk a bit better.

The other times it happens is when going through a door way because I go through on an angle I just get stuck and to free myself I have to think about it.

so basically before PD all these things were done automatically now its like you have to tell the brain yourself based on your own experience of how you have learnt to walk and move through life which is weird because you do not control your brain it controls you.

I have also been suffering with a slow digestion and feeling very full earlier and my appetite is not the same at all.

I have also noticed a persistant cough as well but I dont get this all the time I have noticed after having had a cold it takes along time after the cold has gone to get the rubbish and flem off my chest I dont know if that's part of PD or just as I get older I am 50.

I am only on azilect (rasagaline) 1 mg but have been taking omeprazole since it came out in 1993 for various reflux hiatus hernia problems. regarding domperidone motillium it is a really good anti sickness drug which originally was only available on prescription but is also available over the counter which is useful to know.

Nice to reply i hope your all coping as well as possible and I do find the forums very useful

Paul

stormforce

Freezing is not even being able to get up from a chair.

Freezing is stopping halfway from the lounge to the kitchen and not being able to move.

Freezing is not being able to get out of bed or get into bed even if you have been able to get up the stairs, eventually.

Freezing is being stuck, sat on the toilet and not being able to get up.

Freezing is all of the above and more.