Is waking up early in morning and mind racing a symptom of PD?

I’m 43, dx in 2017. In the last year or so I’ve had the problem where I tend to wake up quite early (maybe just to use the bathroom) at around 5 or 6, sometimes even 4am and my mind starts churning and I can’t get back to sleep. Just lots of random thoughts. I used to have no trouble sleeping in and always needed an alarm to wake me up when I needed to get up early, like 7am. Now I have no need for an alarm. Is this change in my sleeping habits a symptom of PD? I suppose the mind racing is anxiety related. I’ve had other issues like insomnia and daytime sleepiness over the years but they aren’t current issues.

I’m no expert, but Parkinson’s has definately altered my sleeping patterns. I sleep at all sorts of times. The most common being around 7.00pm to 9.00pm followed by getting up again and going back to bed at 3.00am till 8.00am. As for mind racing I had an advert for Fords of Winsford stuck in my bonzo for a day. I put on head phones and listened to some of my favourite music, that fixed the advert thank goodness. So in my case distraction works. Sleep? Well I just put up with it. There are worse things in life.

Hi @VW,

Glad to see you’ve already received a response to your query and I’m sure you’ll receive more helpful advice. Sleep problems are quite common in Parkinson’s which is why have a lot of information on this via our website that you can find here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/sleep.

If you continue to experience sleep problems, I’d recommend you consult with your GP or Parkinson’s nurse so they can look into this and reassess your medication. In meantime, if you’d like to speak to someone sooner rather than later, you can always speak to an advisers via our helpline who will be able to offer you more support on this. Please give us a call on 0808 800 0303 from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm, or you can email [email protected].

Best wishes,
Reah

My sleep has definitely gone down hill since my diagnosis. Wake up 3 or 4 times a night and then at around 5 with anxiety (which is horrible) so end up taking a tablet around 6.

Unfortunately I think it is PD related. I too wake at silly oclock, anxiety is horrendous, at my wits end.

I’ve got to arrange an appointment with the neurologist so I’ll mention it to him to see if there’s anything I can take. When the anxiety comes back it’s so debilitating :frowning:

What is your anxiety about? What table do you mean, sinemet? I was diagnosed with GAD 20 years ago, that’s generalised anxiety disorder, I guess that’s what I have, I wouldn’t say it’s a chronic problem though. I take Effexor, have done so far years.

It’s hard to put it into words but I think it’s having to fill my day and also having to go to new places do new things" I’ve had some CBT and therapist said I had an intolerance of uncertainty.

The tablets I’m referring to as sinemet

I see. Sinemet has no effect on my anxiety or mood, that’s what the effexor is for. The sinemet has improved my movement though. CBT never worked for me, psychoanalysis was much more effective, it was hard work though, very challenging.