Jet Lag

I returned from a 4 week trip to Australia last Thursday and since I have been back my symptoms - stiffness, tremor and difficulty with walking - have returned with a vengance. The outward journey had no adverse effects at all and while I was there my symptoms all but went away to the extent I sometimes forgot to take my meds on time. The friends who we stayed wih were amazed at the improvement in my walking since they saw me two years ago - this I put down to being on a small dose of sinimet. It was very hot and humid so maybe this helped the stiffness. Since I got back the meds just dont seem to kick in like they did before I went and while I was there. My sleep pattern is still not right so maybe its that. Anyone else experienced this.
No, I've never been far enough in a plane to experience jet lag, but I find that any change in routine or sleep pattern may throw me. Also, I wonder whether the excitement and stimulation of the journey kept you going while in Australia, and you are paying the price on your return. I certainly did well on a stimulating family holiday to Italy some years ago.
Hi !
I agree its probably the change in routine that has the effect. Sitting for 24 hours isn't ideal at the best of times let alone with PD. I find that with intercontinental flights there is more chance of being zapped when you arrive. Also over Christmas my PD symptoms get worse, and with the analogy of the flight ... sitting down / sitting still over eating not enough exercise and watching films. None of these helps my PD.
I always felt, pre-PD these were soft issues but am now convinced they are serious and significant,
Also how did you handle your medication ? I try and space out the same as normal, but need to adjust to get into the old timing either at my destination or when I get home.

TTFN

westby
Hi Westby,
Thankfully I am now back to normal (normal!!!! with PD)I dont think we realise what flying across time zones does to us, even without PD. My husband has only just got over the jet lag after a week.

Taking meds was actually no problem. I normally take 'something' every five hours during the day with a seven or eight hours break during the night. I simply carried on with this routine throughout the journey even though the 'night' break was actually during the day, but as I was on the plane and not doing much it didn't seem to matter. We reached Oz late evening and by the next morning I was back on schedule.
Hopefully I will be able to continue with my travels for many years to come.
After our recent holiday jet lag for John(PwP) was no problem,although I wish I could say the same for myself.However,just a note for those trevelling by plane.John had his Madopar in a bottle in his rucksack.He was stopped at security and the whole bag was examined.The security officer thought it was the jar that had caused the alert..On the return John held the bottle in his hand and showed it.It was examined throughly.I waved the doctors letter at them as I had it in my handbag and we passed through without a problem.This is the first time this has happened on many overseas trips, but then his Requp did not come in a jar.
Hi !
Good ideas. I have tried to keep the same timing for day and night but ended up on local time with same timings, which I think is how you have coped. Didn't seem to have any ill effects.
As for medication I have it in a plastic bag and offer it for examination at security checks at every oportunity. This seems (to date) to take the wind out of the security sails and they are happy to hand the plastic bag back with only a cursurary glance.

One thing that I constantly get wrong is wearing socks with holes in when going to the airport - oh the shame !!

take care
westby
Hi all, and thanks for reading 'my bit'.

It has actually never occurred to me that meds are a potential problem when going through security. I have never been questioned even when I go to France for five weeks and have mountains of the stuff. Mind you, until now its has all been in foil strips, but I do now take Mopaor so will have to watch that one.

Another tip which may be of interst if you travel on Easyjet. If you are on an early flight and either havn't taken your meds cos its too early and like me you need to have some brekki first; they havn't had time to kick in or simply that the stress of Stansted Airport (or similar) in the'rush hour' is causing symptoms to rear their ugly head and therefore make you as bit slow, don't be afraid to tell the check in staff that you have a problem. I have always found them very sympathetic and we have immediately had our boarding passes marked 'priority boarding' which means we get to get on early with the parents with children and those who have paid for the privilege! Well, there have to be some advantages to having PD!!
Happy travelling, Janey