June 2020 ..I have been granted PIP ...Am I

So I have my PIP payout approved. Am I…

. Entitled to free prescriptions? I currently have 8 items every 28 days. At the moment, I pay around £30 every 3 months, for a prepay certificate. But if I am entitled to free prescriptions, how do I go about getting them?

. Entitled to free NHS dental check ups / treatment? I see my Dentist every 6-9 months for check ups. Now I get PIP, what entitlements do I have, or not??

. Entitled to free NHS eye tests and actual glasses? I wear glasses to read generally and Specsavers tell me I am due another test (and every time, the last 3 occasions at 2 year intervals, I have needed new lenses and frames). So what am I actually entitled to?

I would appreciate clear answers please, even if the news is not good?

Many thanks in advance. The PIP acceptance letter directs you to “your local NHS website”. These are as much help as a chocolate teapot…

Hello @Dee70 and a warm welcome back to the forum.

Our website has a handy section on help with health costs and provides full information and a list of qualifying benefits.https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/help-health-costs I hope you find it helpful.

If you need further information or have any questions you could contact our free helpline. Our friendly trained advisers are ready to provide information and answer questions on all aspects of life with Parkinson’s. Our helpline is open Monday- Friday 9am-7pm and Saturday 9am-2pm.
You can contact us on 0808 800 0303 or at [email protected]

Take care

Corinne
Forum moderator

1 Like

I also have PIP, and it doesn’t entitle you to get free prescriptions, dental work or eye tests.

You need to be on UC, or have an exemption certificate for free prescriptions, the certificate however still doesn’t entitle you to free dental work or eye tests, only UC (or equivalent old style benefit) will do this.