Just been diagnosed

I’ve just been diagnosed with PD. Not a great surprise and, in an odd way there’s a strange sense of relief that I know what I have and that it’s not motor neuron disease.

First experienced problems in March with a rotating right thumb, & very stiff legs. Have not seen the thumb movement again but there’s a dull stiffness in the legs. There’s a noticeable weakness in the right hand and I tend to shuffle when walking. Also, get tiered very easily.

Joined a gym in May and go three evenings a week - this really helps. Though I still find bodyweight exercises a ‘challenge’.

Begin medication (levdopa) in two weeks and will attend my local support group next month.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Michael.

Hello Michael,
My heart goes out to you during this time, and it’s understandable to feel as if you should be doing more. We do have a guide to Living With Parkinson’s on our website which contains information about symptoms, treatments and living with Parkinson’s. It includes information on everything from work, driving, diet and exercise to emotional issues and relationships. You can find that here - Living with Parkinson's | Parkinson's UK

We also have a ‘newly diagnosed’ section on our website with a vast range of information that will be helpful to you. You can find this information here - Newly diagnosed with Parkinson's | Parkinson's UK.

Our helpline and Parkinson’s local advisers are here to answer any questions you have about your recent diagnosis and life with Parkinson’s. Do give us a call on 0808 800 0303 or email us at [email protected].

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best wishes,
Olivia

Hello Michael,

Hopefully by now your medication has helped control your symptoms.

Going to the gym 3 times week is certainly a ‘plus’ in controlling them as well, especially if you can manage the recommended 50 minutes of intensive exercise per session.

My one regime is also 3 visits per week, comprising of 10 minutes on the rowing machine to begin, followed by 50 minutes walking on the treadmill ( 10-15 incline at 4.5 km/hour ). Depending on the condition of your knees you may wish to invest in an elasticated knee support…or two.
I finish with a session on a ‘chest press’, which is one of those ‘weights pulley style’ machines where you sit down and push the chest-high handles outwards thereby raising the attached weights…great for exercising the arms.

I would also recommend buying a set of mini-dumbbells locally or online (3 or 4kg each) for occasional home use to loosen your arms on non-gym days.

Best wishes

Hi all.
Been diagnosed with PD about 3 weeks ago but I new it is what I had for months before.
OK with it, at least I have a way forward now and help like this web site.
Not sure if I am in the correct forum please let me no if I am in the wrong place?
I have some questions if you can help?
Just started on Modopar so low does to start with. Not feeling any better at all, in fact probably a bit worse. Is this normal? I have a good book called “Living with Parkinson’s disease” It mentions in it that vitamin B12 may help?
I have Burning mouth syndrome that is driving me up the wall. I have seen a consultant about this and they have prescribed amitriptyline and Titrate but still waiting that to come through. Also have the shakes, wobbles and terrible sleep. Any help, advice would be gratefully received.
Many Thanks.

1 Like