Just diagnosed with PD

Hi There to everyone on the forum, My name is Ste and I have just been diagnosed with PD this week. I feel a little ‘shell shocked’ at the moment but it will pass.
My partner is called Gill and we have a 24 year daughter old called Jess.

Regards,
Ste

Hi Ste
Welcome to the site.
There are lots of people here willing to share their knowledge and experience so you’re certainly in the right place.
I don’t usually reply as I don’t know enough about it all yet so am not really good at giving advice.
However, the one thing I would say is that if you’re able to exercise in any way, I feel that it’s well worth the effort.
My husband was diagnosed in February and we were both devastated but are coming to terms with it now. He’s been having Physio, going cycling, exercising at home and seeing a Special Personal Trainer. He is working on his strength, posture, co-ordination and balance and has made phenomenal improvements.
And more than anything, his mood is hugely improved too which in turn has improved my mood too as his diagnosis knocked me for six too.
Oh, one other thing that may be helpful is a little counselling if you can get it. And maybe for Gill and Jess too ? I’m not saying that it’s necessary for everyone but certainly worth considering if you feel it would help.
And Parkinsons Uk general helpline and Nurse Helpline have been invaluable to us, as has the Neurology team at the hospital.
After an awful year with the PD diagnosis and more recently the FND diagnosis we are now getting back to ‘normality’ and are looking forward to 2019.
I hope and pray that your journey will be as positive as ours has eventually become.

Hi @Ste_H,

Welcome to the Parkinson’s UK forum.

It’s nice to see that you’ve already received a response from one of our members. You might be interested to know that we have a 'newly diagnosed section on our website with a lot of information on the kind of support that’s available to you, as well as tips on how to cope with your diagnosis. You can find this information here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons

If you have any medical queries, you can always give our confidential a call on 0808 800 0303 from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm, or you can email [email protected].

I hope you find this information useful.

Best wishes,
Reah

also diagnosed recently, i joined PD exercise class straight away…worth it too near bristol. am retired, thankfully, but long anxious wait for consultation, i am still cycling a bit as well— carefully…hughb1