Late stage Parkinson's

Hi All

I know for me its the fear of the unknown but have to keep positive its hard:neutral_face:

Regards
Ricky
I worked as a carer for a few years and saw several people cope with late stage Parkinsons with dignity and a sense of humour. I am not unduly worried. There are other medical conditions which do not seem easy to suffer from, particularly in the elderly. Yes, I think too there is an element of fear of the unknown.
Yes I am interested to know of people's experiences of late stage parkinsons and I dont mean about death and dying I do mean about further complications, what happens maybe, although I know everyones parkinsons is different , how to care for people , is it about getting just less and less mobile, tips to help all this.sunray
Dear Sunray,

What can I say, it is all so different for everyone, some have dementia which gets worse, others like my husband have behavioural problems, he is fine sometimes and others quite angry and unreasonable which of course he can't control but which is difficult for carers/people to understand.His autonomic system is not good which strangely enough seems a bit better lately,but in fact we nearly lost him last week choking on a piece of meat and so it goes on.
Very often people I have known have a different health problem such as cancer or heart problems as well as pd. As you know urine infections are not good and most pwp's don't drink enough, also chest infections can really make pwp's quite ill.
My husband and I have talked just like many other people about the future and we have decided what we would like to happen and that is why we put things in order a few years ago and I am now thinking of making arrangements for our funerals so that our son won't have that extra worry and to make it a little easier for him. We have tried to think of all these things in a matter of fact sort of way and then forget about them.
I think the best way forward for any of us is to keep on top of things including their care and to recognize when we need a break either together or separately,we did all of these things and still had to make the difficult choice of him going into a nursing home, and I would have him home tomorrow if it was at all possible.
I don't think I have helped you much but I believe that national office and the web have information of the late stages of pd.
There may be other people on the forum who are able to offer you some help and information.
my very best wishes
vivian
Thanks Vivienne, actually the first bit o that was really helpful. I think mhy h is heading for the dementia option and he is becoming less and less mobile. Tonight or the first time I actually decided that I know best about some things and that sometimes he really cant think straight I need to just decide and not give options or just do as he asks. This decision is SO against my nature which is to always give complete choice but he makes daft decisions like wanting to go on and on getting up and down from a chair just to check he can, and wanting to take more and more medicine for constipation when he doesnt need it.It breaks my heart to see him like this and I hate myself for feeling impatient. The setting things in place - well I tried power of attorney and he wouldnt do it, he has something filed in the solicitors office and so if he cant sort his money I need to get the solicitor and he cant sort his money so I just have to go all around the houses with that. The death and dying bit I have experience of this, with my Mother and Father and Sister and a friend and I know how it goes I always just said my prayers at this stage and things seemed to sort out, in the end it was always ok with a bit o hassle beforehand . So thanks you have helped me. I would be interested in anyone elses input also love Sunray
Hello sunray,

Many thanks for getting back, after reading your posts I gathered that your o/h was going to be that route, I am sorry that you are having such a bad time and it is heartbreaking. I am careful about some of the situations we have been in and don't go into too much detail as everyone is different and I have to try to be strong for my o/h and son but the tap is nearly always ready to turn on the tears at the life we have lost together and my lovely husband suffering so much. I have very good friends who keep me up and also what use would I be if I didn't keep myself in check, it is hard. I am sorry you haven't been able to get the legal side sorted out but hopefully your solicitor will help you there.
my very best wishes and god bless,
vivian