Leafy

My Mum was diagnosed with PD about 8 years ago and until last June medication seemed to have everything under control.  Sadly last June 2015 everything went downhill and since then we have had other health problems that have caused major setbacks.  Constant urine infections and changes to medication to try and combat the severe freezing episodes.  My mum has lost confidence, her independance and more recently the will to carry on, which is having a massive impact on my dad, sister and me who all help to care for her.  She is afraid to be left on her own which means we all have to give up our normal daily routine to be with her.  This could mean a whole day shifting and moving her in the chair, to the toilet or just to move around 150 - 200 times a day.  My Dad due to their own financial problems is still working, due to retire next April.  My mum wakes most nights unable to move and needing the toilet sometimes as many as 8-10 times per night, so my poor Dad who at 67 has his own health issues has to get up to assist her.  Our Parkinson's Nurse Support worker has been great trying to reassure us that things will change but will it?  Today I made the decision to phone our local council to get an assessment to see what help is available.  Any advise and reassurances would be greatly appreciated as right now we feel so isolated and wondering if things will ever get any better.  TIA x

Hi Leafy,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you and your family have been dealing with.
It might benefit you to call our free Helpline on 0808 800 0303. Our advisers can give you information and advice about these issues and will be glad to chat to you about anything else you need help with. 
We are open from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm and on Saturday: 10am-2pm.

You may also find our Carer's Guide useful: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/content/carers-guide-carers-people-parkinsons for general information and other types of support.

Best wishes,
Edwina
Moderation Team