Leg and head pain

Hi new to this forum , my mum has stage 5 Parkinson’s unfortunately she has been in a care home for last 2 years as I was her carer but she needed 24 hour care . The home gives her a low dose of morphine for her pain she also has paracetamol and quinine at night for the pain in her legs .She takes beneldopa for her Parkinson’s. I’m just at a loss what to do for her as she is crying whenever I see her with pain ,I see her every day but I feel so helpless any ideas to help her would be appreciated.

Hi Fiona. Welcome to the forum. Very sorry to hear about your mum, it sounds like a very difficult situation for the both of you.

We have lots of information for carers and family members on our website, which you may find of interest: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/caring-someone-parkinsons

We’d also highly recommend you contact our Helpline, as they’re able to advise on a wide range of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients and their families. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call FREE on 0808 800 0303.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Thank you for your reply , I will try those options .

Hi. My mum was in a care home for a year before her death. I found it very helpful to talk to her GP who visited her at the care home. After I’d made the initial contact he kept in touch with me and I was involved in decision making. I was able to tell him my concerns when mum seemed to me to be depressed, in more pain, or more confused. I felt I had a positive input in her care and also felt better informed about the decisions being made.