Levodopa and Dopamine Agonists ... are they equally strong?

Just wondering as I take both of these

6 x 100/25 Madopar(same as Sinemet my neuro says) whch is made up of 100mg levodopa 25mg Benseraizade so call that 600mg levodopa daily

2 x 8 mg Ropinerole XR (dop agonist) so that is 16mg perday

So for every 1 mg of the Ropinerole XR I take nearly 40mg Levodopa

My question is what does 1 mg of Ropinerole equate to in terms of Levodopa?

This is a bit technical but if anybody has gone through this MATHS with their own balance
of Levodopa and DAs and have been advised of a way of comparing the 2 meds maybe you
could advise me.

I understand that i should prob ask my neuro but i’m not due to see him for a good while…

thx Ojalahey

Try this Link

There are probably others, but this is the first I found.

Hi OjalaHey,

You might want to consider asking our Helpline about this, as they’re able to advise on a wide range of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

You may also be interested in a more advanced app that I’ve written. This newer app takes into account the time it takes for each drug to get into the blood and how long it lasts for. You can calculate this from the pharmacokinetic (what the body does to the drug) properties such as CMAX, TMAX and THALF. These vary from drug to drug. The app draws a graph showing the changes through the day as each dose is first absorbed and then wears out.

https://www.parkinsonsmeasurement.org/toolBox/pharmacokinetics.htm

John

1 Like