Libido

Tell me more people I'm on 10mg Requip XL an have a libido of nil! What am I doing wrong.

Hi - I had hyperosexual activity with my first meds - I wasn't warned about it and didn't think it was abnormal since we had a good sex life anyway but my wife just blurted out to the consultant that I was always up for it - well it's a known side affect - he said - thanks for not telling me was my responsemad.  Oh well; once a fortnight now - sad face

eye rollTouchy subject, but here goes. When I was told I had PD I had no idea what lay in store for me and  my lovely wife, I had no warning or info given re the effects of the drugs I was given, Madopar and Cabergoline the latter I believe has been withdrawn due to its alarming changes in the personalities of PD persons, I know its not propa  PD persons, but I am too tired to correct it. The drugs had a virtual instant  and amusing  and confusing change in my attitude to my wife,at first it was fun and she was taken up with this new person her husband had morphed into at 49yrs I had suddenly  become 29 and  she was delighted, but as time went on she realised she could live out fantasies, she only had to ask and we would try anything, just like a couple of sex mad teens, this led to danger and became a threat to our marriage as experimentation became our way of life for about 9 months anything goes our motto, it could not last and luckily we sought help and I was taken off cabergoline and giiven Entacapone , this settled things down and it saved us from self destruct mode, but it could have been so different, so take care my friends if these cllossal changes happen change your drugs or you could lose far more than you gain.

Kindest Regards Fed

Hi teapot52

I'm on ropinirole XL and along with you I'm still waiting for the big buzz!

Sheffy x

I take  Madopar and my pd nurse is talking about adding pramipexole  I have never had a problem with my libido  , since my partner decided he could not handle pd my problem is the lack of a willing partner red face

Hi shelley65

That's sad because now is the time you desperately need the the support of someone close to you. But having said that, some people can't accept change in their lives, even though they marry in sickness and health.

I have had PD for about four years now, and it's  slow advancing so i'm not too bad, don't really know what my hubby will be like when I get more advanced, It could be a shock to his system, no one can tell what the future holds. We just have to keep battling on in our own little world going along with what has been bestowed on us.

Keep your chin up!

Sheffy x

Hi Shelfin

Thank you for your kind words

we were not married nor were we living together  , he was never supportive  and  never accepted the fact i had pd i choose to be postive and make the most of my life he actually turned round to me one day and made the comment ' i don't understand how you can be so happy when your ill ' to which my reply was i am not happy about it if i could give it back god knows i would but i have it i can't change it so it is not going to rule my life ....i really do not need people in my life with a attitude like that i know this sounds harsh but if he wants to leave then i will hold the door open for him

Hi shelly65

Sometimes it takes a strong person to keep going, and hold their head up high and laugh at life. With what life has bestowed on us we can do no more but to keep going. I admire you in that way, stay as happy as you can and be as happy as you can.

I was in the girl guides and one motto was "a guide laughs and sings under all difficulties" you can't do it all of the time, but most of the time.

Regards Sheila

I have gone the other way,not interested in anytime and so much so my husband of 18 years now has a mistress. I have problems with on site Gambling and he wonders why. I have 3 kids 17 year old doing a levels, and 2 sons , (triplets but lost a son to cot death). Really wondering how much more I can take cryPerhaps someone can suggest something to help me or even understand what's happening. I was diagnosed on nov 2010 aged 40, life changes at 40, certainly does, not always for the better !

Hi Jen

So sorry to hear of your problems , i have not suffered with impulsive behaviour but my parkinson's nurse is talking about adding a dopamine agonist to my meds  and we talked in great detail today about the risks of impulsive behaviour  and she said it was more common in younger people with pd .

I know there are some members on the forum that have experienced impulsive behaviour and i think they would be more knowledgeable than me but i would say talk to your neuro or parkinsons nurse with regards to  reducing/ changing your meds .

Good luck

Hi Jen

Sorry to hear of your problems. You were diagnosed the same year as I was but in the August, I was put on Ropinirole a dopomine agonist, which they say gives some patients impulsive behaviour problems. I can honestly say I have had no problems at all, but the medication does not agree with everyone. As Shelly said the best thing to do is talk to your PD nurse or GP. It could be right what Shelly said as well that this impulsive behaviour only affects younger people, cos I am 61 going on 62

Regards Sheila

I had a in depth discussion with my pd nurse   a few days ago as she wants to add a dopamine agonist ( mirapexin or Ropinerole } to the Madopar i take at minute , and she said it is more of a problem to younger pwp and she said she was at a conference recently where it was being discussed and some neuros were going as far as asking there patients to sign disclaimers regarding knowing the risks of taking a DA exclaim

Oh, absolutely, shelly. Of my initial consult with the neuro I reckon a good 20% was taken up with being told the potential perils of DAs and signing the consent form. But (as I've posted elsewhere tonight) I didn't take it all in: too much of a bedside manner when you really needed something more direct: "these pills mess with your head. They may cause you to gamble away your family home, spend all your partner's cash, or have outrageous sexual demands - worse, you're going to lie to cover it up." That I would have understood.

It is still the main topic of conversation with both the neuro and the PD nurse. I get the message now.

S

At my appointment with my neuro when he offered me  a DA OR Levodopa  i got the impression he was leaning more to Levodopa than a DA and when my PD nurse suggested adding a DA  he was still more inclined to up the Levodopa than add the DA   , but pd nurse seems more inclined to go with the DA but did spend quite a while going into the possible effects of impulsive behaviour , my problem is night time  waking in the night stiff and achy and getting out of bed in the morning , i would rather go with a Madopar CR for night time than a DA , so the pd nurse has gone off to discuss with the neuro what his preference is , i don't have a partner so i can't spend his cash or place outrageous sexual demands but still i would rather not be in any position where i might i am more inclined to go with the neuros advice and stick with just the Madopar , better the devil i know me thinks

I must admit i did raise a eyebrow and was shocked when she said about consent form regarding dopamine agonist ,  surely it is the drug companys that need to be held accountable ,

Well the drug companies can't stop DAs leading to some people having impulsive behaviour (as far as I know), so they're either banned from use (which would affect the majority of us who don't suffer this side effect) or the risks of taking them are made crystal-clear - which means the prescribing medic tells us what might happen and what to do if it does; and because the issue is a biggie it seems reasonable that we're formally asked to note that we have been told about it. That's "informed consent".

The real problems stemmed from the time before this process was formalised, and people taking DAs didn't understand that their changed behaviour was linked to the drugs. There's tons on this site about all that. Start with http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/content/qa-law-and-impulsive-and-compulsive-behaviour

I for one am glad that DAs are available and that we're now being more clearly told about the risks.

Best

Semele

I agree that many people benefit from DAs but the big problem is that the 1 in 4 or more , or 1 in 3 men under 50 who suffer the OCD side effects, mainly in hypersexuality or gambling, don't recognise it as a problem, even if warned.

My understanding from my husband and other sufferers is that, although not warned, they loved the excitement of their secret lives of  destructive activities which grew slowly and got extra thrills from hiding it.

That is why a partner  or person in close contact needs warning and urging to check not just outward appearances but bank statements etc.

Even then there is no guarantee that OCD behaviour will be discovered until devastating harm has been done.

My husband hid his horrific secret life for 3years before I found out and by then he had lost our life savings and destroyed our marriage.He tells me he existed in a state of euphoria at getting away with it .

That is why it is such a gamble.

GG

So sorry to hear of your husbands problems with DA's Goldengirl , i totally agree the effects are devastating and  by reading peoples storys on the forum i am against taking a DA , i do not have a partner so the responsibilty  of monitoring my behaviour would fall upon my two sons who live with me  and that is something i would not want to bestow upon them when they should be out enjoying there lives

Thankfully the neuro and parkinsons nurse are in disagreement over the DA with the neuro preferring going up on the Madopar which i think will be my favoured course of action , the pd nurse was saying some people were taking more DA's than they should because of the euphoria they provided not a situation i want to put myself in i think .

I think you are very wise,Shelly...if you can maintain your mobility etc without taking the risk then it is a safer path.

If it helps at all, my husband suffered terrible withdrawal symptoms coming off the DAs and it took a long time to reach an effective alternative regime on Levadopa.

But now his mobility is better than it has ever been and mentally he is much better.Yet we had believed the Requip was responsible for his relief of symptoms and that Sinemet would be less effective.

we were wrong.

However he still misses the drug-induced euphoria of the past.

I wish you well, Shelley and hope an increase in Levadopa will help.

Love

GG

Thank you Goldengirl , i take 125mg of Madopar  3xtimes and 1mg Rasagiline  a day but it is night times that are a little difficult  i did ask if there was a Madopar CR for a night time but for whatever reasons pd  nurse was reluctant to give the CR  i did take Sinemet plus but suffered terribly with nausea/ vomiting  so had to go on Madopar , and the pd nurse is talking about DA's that carry a nausea side effect   the mind boggles, my neuro suggested a fouth dose od Madopar which i think i am more inclined to go with

I hope everything goes well for you and your husband

My husband was helped by a wonderful neurologist who suggested low-dose dispersible Madopar if he woke in the night.

This works in less than 10 mins and gives him about an hour to go to the loo and stretch and get comfy in bed.

This works well for him. He tried the Sinemet CR but it didn't seem to work.

He carries the full strength dose to take in an emergency, eg. Freezing when out.

He carries a small bottle of water to swig with it.

He also takes one before and after a large meal, eg eating out with friends.

Things improved enormously once this was added to his Sinemet regime.

I do hope you find a regime that works for you.

love

GG