Living alone and Power of Attorney

Hi, posting here in hope that some of you who are living with Parkinson’s on your own may be able to give some advice, or someone who has knowledge of what happens to someone who has lost capacity but has no family support.

A very good friend of my husband’s has Parkinson’s and this has now affected his mobility so badly that he has moved into a care home. He is from the US originally but has lived in this country since the 1960s. He is now in his late 70s. His wife passed away some years ago and he has no children or relatives in this country. He is lucky in that he has a close group of friends who have been very supportive, however they are all of an age with him and in varying states of health.

Now that he has moved into the care home on a permanent basis he needs to sell his property to release the capital to pay his bills. He is mentally sound, but physically he is in no position to sort out his flat. He had a friend who had Power of Attorney but they have resigned due to ill health. He wants someone to supervise the sale of his flat and, now that he is immobile, to take care of his long-term well-being and financial affairs. He has no family in this country that could perform this task, except a brother-in-law that he doesn’t get on with.

He has asked my husband, but he doesn’t want to do it. He has Parkinson’s too as it happens, and doesn’t think he’s up to it either physically or mentally since he has some memory problems. None of the rest of the small circle of friends wants to do it either - all have age or health issues that make them wary of taking it on.

This is an awful situation to be in and we’re not sure where to go from here. My husband feels dreadful but he really feels he wouldn’t be doing anyone any favours by taking it on, and I’m inclined to agree. We’ve helped with sorting out the contents of the flat - which is in a bit of a mess - but my husband wants to stop there.

Any suggestions?? Does he need to find a solicitor who would be willing to act as Attorney? Would he eventually become a Ward of Court? How does that work?

Hi @catherine

I am sure many will share their experiences, but I would suggest that you contact our helpline on 0808 800 0303 and one our experienced advisers will be able to help you.

Kind regards

Sue - moderation team

Thank you Sue. We will do that

You can also approach age concern for advice also catherine, they have solicitors who can help out!