Living Wage

Hi any advice please I am struggling with my work I am an engineer I get extremely weary after Lunch I could leave work with an 11000 a year pension but could not live on that how easy is it to get PIP or benefits that are not mean’s tested
Thanks Gary 60 years old 3 years diagnosed

Hi Gary…
My HWP had to finish work at 60 due to his PD …so he had to wait 6 yrs before he could claim is OAP. He had a small private pension like you. It took him a few years to apply for PIP( due to his own reluctance to do it) but once he did the process was easy. He filled in the forms and all the stuff he needed and supporting paperwork and he had a telephone assessment and was awarded the Daily Living component after about 8 weeks. It was back dated to when he made the 1st telephone call requesting the PIP application form . His claim was straight forward Parkinson’s UK have advisors to help if you need them to help fill in the paperwork I know some people who have had to struggle to get theirs, but if you get declined Parkinson’s UK have advisors who can help you along the way who are very good. It is worth applying for because as we all know parkinson’s disease is ongoing sadly…
Good luck…

Thanks I am 60 and will see how I get on many thanks for taking the time to get back
Gary

Hi Gary, I would reiterate what babesbrown said, and apply with the help of parkinsons UK. I ordered all their free leaflets that were relevant to my husbands symptoms, they also have a booklet on guidance for filling out the(huge) form. I highlighted all the side effects that he experiences from his drugs, and sent that paperwork in also. It’s easy to underestimate the areas that affect your day to day life. We applied age 64 and he had pd for6yrs. He had already retired early. Took nearly 12 weeks but it was all back dated to day you make phone call. Always appeal if refused first time. We were successful first time. I think the descriptions you give of all the areas your life is affected are key to a successful outcome. Phone for your form ASAP. Good luck