Living well with pd

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed In 2013, but I had symptoms since around 2006/2008. I work for myself as a self employed gardener, where I look after several gardens, including 4 large ones. I have continued to engage in very hard physical labour in my work. After seeing my physiotherapist a month ago he told me that my strength and speed had increased so much that I had equaled the time of fastest of patient he had ever recorded, and he has tested hundreds. I put my fitness down to working hard outdoors, and I don’t believe in fighting disease, because to fight uses energy, I like to flow with it and adapt when needed. I also enjoy baking, painting landscapes and walking. I am 55 married and care for my elderly mother. After my first consultant passed me on because he did’nt believe l had pd because I didn’t display the symptoms of a typical pd patient, I was seen by 2 neurologists who both confirmed the pd diagnoses. I take a lot of meds because I am very active and my current consultant is part of a DBS team because I am being assessed for DBS in the future, and for now I am to well to be considered.

3 Likes

That’s terrific and good for you :slight_smile: I’m 44 diagnosed 3 years ago exercise mad 5 mile run climbing session and CrossFit today still on minimum meds and feeling good
Bloody stress and anxiety exacerbated symptoms as do for all
The label of PD should be changed as it fills us all with dread and just promotes anxiety for a much more manageable condition than in recent years
My mum has advanced PD but also bad rheumatoid arthritis and thus hasn’t been able to exercise I help her but she tells me to bugger off!
She’s my hero

1 Like

Great to hear your doing a good amount of varied fitness activities, because it helps to keep the dopamine cells as healthy as possible. Also good to try new fitness and brain activities as this helps to create new connections in the brain. As I have found out its important to have rest periods to allow recovery, which is even more important in later years. I agree that stress can increase with a pd diagnoses and I will share my strategies soon. My mother is my hero, she has a few ailments, and a great mental attitude, I can’ imagine how she would cope with pd. Keep doing what you doing and helping mum is a great thing for you both.

1 Like

Hi @treehugger, :wave:

A warm welcome to the forum. :smiley:

It’s amazing that you’ve remained healthy and fit. Stories like this really gives people with Parkinson’s hope that they can still live active and fulfilling lives despite having the condition. You seem to have a very busy schedule, but you’re absolutely right, trying new fitness and brain activities does wonders for the brain. :+1:

In the spirit of this, you may want to check out the exercise section on our website which has a lot of information on the different forms of exercise that are good for people with Parkinson’s. You can find this page here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/exercise.

Please don’t be a stranger to the forum.

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager

Your attitude is very much like mine , i was diagnosed approx. 4 years ago at 58 and at first i thought i was heading into a rapid downward spiral. But been a naturally optimistic , positive person i thought sod it , while i am reasonably ok i will continue with my life until such time as i cannot. I am an electrician responsible for the maintenance and repair of a multi million pound facility , 70% of the time sole responsibility , i work 12 hour shifts on a day and night shift cycle, in my spare time i play as much golf as i can and try to keep active and positive . I think your view on not fighting the disease is very important , its a waste of time fighting it , what will be will be , deal with the now and dont pre empt the future. I realise with this disease it can vary in severity and speed of onset and i am not so naive to think things cant go very wrong very quickly , but until that day crack on i say. On forums such as this you read stories of people in very bad ways and i acknowledge this but people often come on these forums newly diagnosed and whilst informative posts about the more severe sides of our condition are important it is also important to show that all may be not lost and with a bit of positivity , luck and medication things may not be as bad as they first thought…

1 Like

Sorry to appear ignorant but what is a DBS?

Hi, I had’nt heard of deep brain stimulation (DBS) until my consultant said that I can’t increase medication much more and DBS is the best next intervention.
There is a good definition of DBS in the information section of this website, but basicaly it is electrodes being placed into the part of the brain where pd is affecting movement, the electrodes are attached to a kind of pacemaker, which you can adjust to send an electric current to improve motor/movement symptoms. My consultant said it is not a cure, but can give you several more more good years and decrease medication by half in some cases.
Do take a look at info on this website.

Only just seen this but I cant agree with you more!, I am 59, diagnosed 2 years ago, I am still working as a painter and decorator which is also very physical and I too believe that keeping up my work has helped me to remain positive about my condition. I fully appreciate not all sufferer’s have the ability or option to carry on working but if you can then I would recommend it. My wife is incredibly supportive of me, encouraging me to try new things and to do as much as we can of the things we have always done. I have recently started to go to a boxercise class once a week after I read that it helps with balance and co-ordination and also core fitness - which is something I had noticed I was losing. I am definitely starting to feel the benefits after attending for 6-7 weeks now. Obviously I have moments when I think of what lies ahead but hopefully that’s years away yet. Medication is a big help to me but a positive outlook is I believe just as critical! Keep up the good work treehugger and all the best.

1 Like