Loss of smell (not sense of smell)

Has anyone noticed that the person they live with who has Parkinson’s no longer has the same pheromones? Since diagnosis and starting drugs my husband does not really smell of anything. I really miss his smell. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be to do with the disease or the drugs?

1 Like

Interesting. I hadn’t really thought about this but asked my husband (I’m the one with PD). He says I smell different from how I used to. He’s not much interested in sex these days and I’d assumed it was him but now I’m wondering if it’s me. I think we need to explore this more.

Oh, and I don’t think it can be the drugs as he says he noticed it before I was even diagnosed.

Hi I haven’t logged into site for a very long time and have never text. My husband has Parkinsons and his body odour has altered completely. (I have an acute sense of smell) it is a suffocating horrid smell it clings to his clothes, bedding,towels etc. I don’t think other people can smell it. He showers and washes his hair every day and has always been very clean and smart. He now, himself, has very little or no sense of smell (we had a gas leak and he cldn’t smell it). Because of this odour we sleep in separate rooms but share a bed in the mornings. We have put an ambipur smelly in his room on a timer (so it isn’t on when he’s in there) this makes the room more pleasant. I have read about people who can “smell” Parkinsons and I wonder if my husband’s odour is what is meant by it.

I recently heard that PD sufferers have alteration in their sebum and it’s not to do with the drugs but the disease itself. Another hidden and very private loss caused by this disease.

2 Likes