Madopar and Mucuna dose

Hello there,
I am recently diagnosed with PD and am currently on 2 x Madopar 50mg/12.5mg daily (it should be 3 x daily but I am very reluctant to take more than 2 as my symptoms aren’t too bad at the moment and I am really struggling mentally with my diagnosis). I also take 3 x Magnesium L- threonate capsules daily ( a total of 1500mg intake daily). I have just bought Mucuna L- dopa 99% capsules from British Supplements. They recommend 1 x capsule daily(giving 353.7mg of L-dopa daily). I have been in contact with my PD nurse for advice but she doesn’t seem keen on me taking these as they are ‘unregulated’ and will in all likelihood ‘make me vomit.’ Not very helpful, I thought ! So I’d like to ask other people on here who are taking these Mucuna capsules the following:

a) when should I take them ie. am /pm/ bedtime?

b)should they be taken on an empty stomach or with something so they don’t make you sick?

c)do I take just one Madopar capsule daily if I’m taking a Mucuna capsule daily as the dose of L-dopa in them is very high or stick to the two Madopar + the Mucuna ?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I’m confused and a bit desperate !
Also I am still working so I want to try and not be sick if I can avoid it !
Many thanks.

Hi

I’ve been taking the same supplement of mucuna for 2 weeks and i can honesly say it has been amazing for me :slight_smile:

Got my arm swing back for the 1st time in 5 years, much more alert, walking better, and energised. My wife says i improved by 1 maybe 2 levels :slight_smile: no real side effects. Its bloody great :slight_smile:

1 Like

I take 2/3 ! Capsule morning and night so take 11/3 capsule a day. I was taking 2 capsules a day but found it to be much and caused me restless legs

Got a slight feeling of bloated but after 10 days that has passed. Never been sick or felt sick. Your nurse is just scaremongering. In my experience, this stuff really is terrific :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Wobbly62, you’ll find it a helpful and friendly place.

A new diagnosis is always difficult and it takes a while to figure things out. Medication is a very individual thing and it’s good to see that @azmilo1977 has added their own thoughts. We hope others will joiin in on this and let you know what their experience has been.

Have you had a chance to explore our website and especially the section for people with a new diagnosis?

You can also call our Helpline if you have concerns. You’ll find us on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

Many thanks for replying to my query azmilo1977.Very glad the mucuna’s working for you.I hope they do for me . If anyone else is on similar medication or has any suggestions, I’d love to hear from you…The longer we can all keep functioning the better !

Has anyone tried atremoplus? I am hearing great reviews. Only downside is the cost.

Hello

After reading your article I ordered a bottle of mucuna L Dopa 99 from British supplements. They arrived today. I had one tablet and after a while I could walk much better than before. I’m worried though, incase it’s harmful when used with dopamine agonists and selegiline. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi there

Ordered the same macuna from the same place.

Was a bit worried about taking them during the day as to what they would do to me with taking stalevo every 2-3 hrs … So I started taking one every night about 9pm …. And since then I’ve not had any dystonia in my foot when I first wake up😃

So a thumbs up from me , I am going g to start introducing another dose during the day.

Cheers
Liam

Hi liam

That is great news :slight_smile: how are you getting on with mucuna now?

Hi,I started on the same as you 50 mg of Madapar 3 times a day but nothing happened. So I complained to my neurologist and he doubled the dose.It then worked okay.

Hi Wobbly
I’m 66 and I was diagnosed four and a half years ago. I started on a low dose of dopamine agonists which was increased gradually from 0.26 to 0.52 and finally to 0.78. During lock down my walking on the left leg became really bad. I had not seen my doctor for two years. That’s when I read about L-Dopa from British Supplements. I ordered a packet and began taking one a day in the morning after breakfast. I don’t take it at night because it disturbs my sleep. A couple of times I vomited because I didn’t eat properly. Now I make sure I eat a bowl of porridge and a couple of pieces of fruit before I take it and I feel absolutely fine with it. It helped me so much. If I don’t take it I can hardly walk. I too, work full time and I’m able to carry on with my work apart from a small limp on my left leg. Without these supplements I could hardly walk. I mentioned it to my doctor who told me to stop them immediately as they are unregulated. I stopped taking them for a couple of days and my symptoms got worse so I started taking them again. I don’t know what the long term effect is but at the moment I find them necessary for me to carry on living a life near enough to normality.
I hope you find my points useful. Good luck.
FromCeleron1

1 Like

Hi everyone
I have been using products from British Supplements for quite some time now and I have to say that, for me, they have been terrific overall. However, I haven’t tried their Mucuna because I am worried about the dosage. I was diagnosed 6 years ago at age 65 at which time I suspected I had PD as it was in my family and I was taking Mucuna supplements (not British Supplements brand) but was prescribed Madopar 100/25 and 50/12.5 by the Neurologist who had never heard of Mucuna and wasn’t the least bit interested in discussing it with me. Over the years my dosage has increased significantly and I am now taking 9 x 100/25 plus 2 x 50/12.5 per day spread between 7am and 7.30pm but would dearly like to go back to Mucuna as, in my memory, it was better and smoother than Madopar. Here’s my dilemma, it looks to me like British Supplements single capsule of Mecuna delivers nearly 1000mg of Levodopa against Madopar single 100/25 capsule delivering 100mg of L-Dopa! If that were the case, and I replaced my Madopar with Mucuna, I would be taking 10 times my current dose which seems impossible. I am struggling to get my head around this can anyone help me figure this out please?