Madopar seems to be making things worse

Would love to hear your thoughts. Just been taking Madopar for about six weeks, two of those at maximum dosage, 125mg three times a day. I find that since I started taking the med I have totally stiffened up. Up to that point I had very little symptoms. What is going on? Is this typical? Can you feel worse before you feel better? I am seriously thinking of ditching the med.

Hi @boomerang83,

I’m sorry to hear that that your medication isn’t being as effective as you may have hoped. Madopar along with other Parkinson’s related drugs effects everyone differently and it is not uncommon for people to experience side affects. However, I would strongly encourage you to speak to your GP or Parkinson’s nurse before you stop taking any form of medication - they can review your dosage or maybe try a different type of co - careldopa.

Please give our helpline a call on 0808 800 0303 to speak to an adviser about your situation in more detail.

Best wishes,
Reah

My dilemma is that I am wondering if I have Parkinson’s at all. Since I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago and prescribed Madopar I feel ten times worse than I did beforehand. I am constantly stiff and aching all over, I had no such issues before that. Surely the medication would be making me feel better? My feet are constantly in discomfort particularly my left leg feels heavy and I am just out of sorts. I rarely get any sleep and my mood has worsened. I can’t see any way out of this. The neurologist diagnosed Parkinson’s without an MRI or cat scan. I thought the medication would make things better but alas! I need some respite, other wise I might as well pull the plug.

Hi @boomerang83,

My thoughts go out to you, it sounds like you’ve been having a really tough time. Just to echo my advice in my previous comment, please speak to your GP or Parkinson’s nurse about the side effects that you’ve been experiencing so that they can look into this further.

I definitely empathise with you and your need for some respite, please know that you are not alone and if you’d like to speak to someone about this, again, you are always welcome to call our helpline. One of our advisers would be happy to support you further on this - with your permission, I could pass your email address onto them so that they could contact you directly. Please let me know if you’d be okay with this?

Best wishes,
Reah

Thanks for your response. I am happy that you pass on my details. Kind regards.

Was your post intended for me?

May I ask why you posted this information? What message are you trying to convey?

Hi @boomerang83,

Yes, it definitely was. I will pass your email address on and an adviser will be in contact with you as soon as possible.

Best wishes,
Reah