Medication for PD muscle pain

I have PD and theme PD drugs have now caused peripheral neuropathy. I have intense muscle pain most evenings. Rather than prescribe me a pain killer they’ve prescribed me an anti-depressant that has the side effect of easing nerve pain. Only thing is it doesn’t really work.

Any idea why they won’t prescribe an opiate pain killer ?

Colin

They don’t work for neuropathic pain. The tablets they have given you take time to have an effect and the dose often needs to be built up. If you’ve been on the tablet for awhile and it’s not working speak to your GP about increasing the dose.

Hello ShakyCj … I have Atypical Parkinson’s & Peripheral Neuropathy. I take Amitriptyline 1 x 10mg at 7pm every day for the Peripheral Neuropathy. I think it a miracle drug in that it has healed a deep ulcer on my right heel & dealt with my swollen right foot & ankle & stopped the numbness in my left leg.

However I still have tightness in all my leg muscles. But whether this is a Parkinson’s issue, Peripheral Neuropathy or Arthritis I do not know. There are a lot of cross-over symptoms.

What tests are done to confirm peripheral neuropathy? CT or MRI scans can look for herniated disks, pinched nerves, also called compressed nerves, growths or other problems affecting the blood vessels and bones. Nerve function tests. Electromyography (EMG) measures and records electrical activity in your muscles to find nerve damage.

I had a Nerve function & EMG test 2 weeks ago in Brighton Hospital & am still waiting results.

To date I have not taken any Parkinson’s drugs [only 2 1/2 weeks worth]. The Peripheral Neuropathy just turned up.

Best of luck
Steve2

1 Like

Hey Steve, They did Nerve function tests I believe. Stuck pads on my feed and legs and gave me a small electric shock to test my nerves.

Hello ShakyCJ … It amused me that the gent doing my NFT/EMG procedure gave me no warning that the shocks were most uncomfortable.

Best wishes
Steve2