Medication

Hello , been a while since I’ve posted … can anyone help with a question? I take a slow release sinemet at night and in the morning I feel very sick ( I’ve been trying to stick with it the last few months as I do feel better re not being so stiff in the morning) yet my regular sinemet I take during the day I feel fine on, no nausea !

Can anyone shed any light in this please ? Xxx

1 Like

Hi @Angela,

Sorry to hear about the nausea you’ve been experiencing with your slow-release Sinemet, hopefully other forum members will be able to share their experiences and advice too. Do also get in touch with your clinic for further advice, and we also have our Nurse advisers on the Helpline that you can phone for advice. You can contact the helpline on 0808 800 0303, or email [email protected] , the helpline is open Monday-Friday 9am -7pm and 10am-2pm on Saturdays.

Best Wishes,
David
Forum Moderation Team

Hello David, called the number and left a message x

Hi Angela,

I take a number of pills and most of them make me feel sick. My GP prescribed Lansoprazole which is an anti-sickness drug, I take it in the morning with my levedopa and the sickness has gone, be advised you will have to take these long term but it is so worth it.

Please people, look up the side effects. Check the indication, check the warnings. Ask questions about drug interactions.

Lansoprazole Brand Names: FIRST Lansoprazole, Prevacid Medically reviewed by Sanjai Sinha, MD. Last update 11/1/19

Lansoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor. Lansoprazole decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
Lansoprazole is used to treat and prevent stomach and intestinal ulcers, erosive esophagitis (damage to the esophagus from stomach acid), and other conditions involving excessive stomach acid such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Over-the-counter lansoprazole (Prevacid OTC) is used to treat frequent heartburn that happens 2 or more days per week. This medicine is not for the immediate relief of heartburn symptoms.

Do not use over-the-counter lansoprazole (Prevacid OTC) without the advice of a doctor if you have nausea or vomiting, stomach pain; …

Prevacid OTC should be taken only once daily for 14 days. It may take up to 4 days for full effect. Allow at least 4 months to pass before you start another 14-day treatment with Prevacid OTC.

For the Consumer:
Side effects include : nausea, stomachache, vomiting
…Anxiety, mental depression mood or mental changes
…muscle spasms (tetany) or twitching seizures, difficulty with swallowing…trembling, , “pins and needles”, or tingling … difficulty with speaking

For health professionals:
Psychiatric side effects include:
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Confusion, hallucination, insomnia, restlessness
Frequency not reported: Abnormal dreams, abnormal thinking, agitation, anxiety, apathy, depersonalization, emotional lability, hostility aggravated, libido increased/decreased, nervousness, neurosis, sleep disorder, visual hallucinations

https://rxisk.org/drugs-that-can-cause-depression-agitation-suicidality/
Drugs That Can Cause Depression, Agitation & Suicidality Author: RxISK Medical Team Last updated: 2018

What risks can medications cause?
Prescription medicines from antibiotics to contraceptives can increase your risk of suicide by triggering:
a depressive or dysphoric state
anxiety
agitation or akathisia
disinhibition
psychosis or delirious states

The risk comes from the drug, not you. The difficulty in seeing this comes from the fact that we are all different. A drug that makes one person feel better, slows their heart rate or lowers their cholesterol, may make their friend suicidal, increase their heart rate or increase cholesterol levels. Companies trade on this – they sell the average headline effect of their drug as its only effect. If something else happens to you that’s an anecdote, or suggests you have another disease or even that you’ve fabricated things.
Astonishingly, companies get away with this. Even though the depression, anxiety, or suicidality that you are experiencing is written into the label of the drug you are on, your doctor may completely deny that this is a possibility when it seems obvious to you. Or just as bad, s/he may never point out to you that the symptoms you are having that you don’t connect to the drug, may in fact stem from this source. S/he will instead likely add in more drugs which will almost certainly make the problem worse.
As a recent article in JAMA showed, the more drugs you are on, the greater the risk you run. Taking three or more drugs that can cause a problem triples your risk of being dysphoric, akathisic, or suicidal.