Medication

I have my 2nd Neurologist meeting in 2 weeks and will receive my diagnosis after feeling rough for 2 years and GP’s wrongly diagnosing me with anxiety. I am really struggling now and especially with fatigue. I just dont feel like doing anything except lying on the sofa. Hopefully medication might help but what happens about fatigue? Can medication help this? I also have Orthostatic Hypotension so am worried about that being worsened by medication. Final question does anyone drink alcohol? I know I wont be able to drink as before but a couple of beers and a couple of glasses of wine would be nice. Thanks

Hi Rob28,
Fatigue is a classic symptom. What happens is, as your muscles slowly degenerate you need to use more effort to do the same things, so you get more fatigued.
Once I learned that I just started taking longer to the same exercise etc.
As for alcohol, I definitely do.
A few glasses of wine, or a whisky/whiskey or a beer.
I am a social drinker so only drink when with friends perhaps twice a week or so.

Good afternoon Rob28 … I remember not that many years ago, maybe 4-5 years, I lived in Shropshire & I had no curtains on my bedroom windows & when it got light I was wide awake & I would get up & maybe go for an early morning walk. Now a year after my Parkinson’s diagnosis when I wake up I still feel very tired & today as I had nothing to do I dozed in bed till 2pm.

I take a lot of medication, quite a lot of which list fatigue & trouble sleeping as a side effect. Parkinson’s disease also has sleep & fatigue issues as a likely symptom.

We just have to put up with it & get on with our lives.

I’m teetotal by the way [for about 30 years].

Steve2

Best of luck.
Steve2

Thanks guys thats really useful.

Hi Rob.

I’m sure you know it’s very important to keep moving I.e. exercise with PD. I know that’s easier said than done. I myself have to push myself. I’m not long back from my 3 mile walk. It’s a struggle to be honest. Try a few laps of the garden a few times a day if you can. I also have dumbbells which I throw around.
Up until a while ago, I was suffering from sleep deprivation which was killing me. A change in meds changed that and I’m relatively refreshed after a decent nights sleep, which then motivates me to push for a bit more exercise. That said I do nap in the afternoon fairly often too.
As for alcohol, life is bad enough with PD, why give up a little pleasure like a beer :blush:. I have a couple of IPAs ready to go, it’s Friday after all :rofl:.
Cheers

Medication is variable for fatigue as there are usually more than one reason for this, I found it helped a lot because everything took less energy.
Beer is fine.
Orthostaic hypotension can get worse but it’s balanced out by being able to move! Just have to be careful.