MegaBike

Hi there fellow Parkinsonians,

Schistosomiasis is a debilitating condition affecting 252 million worldwide and leads to death of 4,000 to 400,000. Annually. It causes kidney damage, liver failure, abdominal swelling, in children it can cause poor growth and learning difficulties.

In 2012, 249 million people were in need of treatment to prevent the disease. This makes it the most common parasitic infection with malaria second and causing about 207 million cases in 2013. It effects mainly children as the parasite carrying the infection is a freshwater snail that breeds on river banks where barefoot children play. (It gains access through the child’s foot, typically.)

Facts and figures from Wikipedia.

The good news is it is relatively easily treated. 50 pence a year is all that is required to keep the symptoms at bay.

So the long cycle trip is to raise funds for the Schistosomiasis Control Initiative run from Imperial College, London. To support me and contribute to the fighting fund head to JustGiving (link below) and donate. All the expenses connected with my trip are either already paid by me, or will be by the time I arrive back in my Aberdeen home. 100% of your contribution goes to the charity and, even more good news, SCI consistently figures very prominently in league tables that rank charities in order of cost effectiveness.

How SCI figures in Charity efficiency stakes
(from CivilSociety Newsletter Dec2011
A British initiative has come second in a league table of international aid schemes which aims to find the best opportunities for donors to accomplish good with their donation.

Give Well’s 2011 international aid process review assessed charities from a wide variety of sources including recommendations, other lists of highlighted charities, past applicants and grantees of impact-focused foundations.

Some 223 organisations were flagged before a final 98 were contacted for further assessment. Imperial College London’s Schistosomiasis Control Initiative (SCI) made the final cut, coming second in the table of top-rated charities, missing out on the top spot to the international Against Malaria Foundation.

GiveWell co-founder, Holden Karnofsky, said: “Our top two charities are outstanding on all fronts… They execute proven, cost-effective programs for helping people. They have strong track records. They have concrete future plans and room for more funding. They are transparent and accountable to donors.”
In 2018 tables SCI figure in the top eight charities.
See more at: https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/international-aid-league-table-finds-best-giving-opportunities.html#sthash.O9awMSAi.dpuf

So, a worthy cause, a highly effective organisation for implementing treatments and I get to tour the length of the UK and hopefully meet some of you.
Donate here

You can also help in a more hands on way by accommodating me on my trip. If you live near any of the towns below and can offer a bed for the night please get in touch via www.airBnB.co.uk.

Thanks

Dates are somewhat provisional as one can’t be so precise at this time.