Memory and progressive physical disability

There is an important consequence that arises as my movement becomes more challenging: the feeling of my body not working properly becomes set against the memories of what free movement feels like. Therefore, it is not necessarily the impaired movement that causes the emotional damage but the relative gap between expectations based on memories and current levels of movement. Such a gap between feelings makes my current movement appear much worse.

This is the challenge of coming to terms with a progressive disability.

dr jonny

http://dialoguewithdisability.blogspot.co.uk
:disappointed:
Hello dr johnny, if you don't mind me saying sir, you have a masterful capability
in your insight into this b,,,,,d disease we unfortunately share , you have titled your post in such a way , you describe BLACKHEART , in four words I would
Imagine only the most senior consultants and professors have such a understanding
of PD to be able to do what you achieve with virtually every post
Are you in fact a Doctor, you are very knowledgeable indeed if there was some sort of BAFTA "OR DAFTA" AS I call them, award scheme you dr john would get my vote, with turnip just missing out.
Kindest Regards fed:wink:
Thanks fed!

A DAFTA it is! I would to thank my family and friends, the dog I never had, the person who served me coffee yesterday...

No, I'm not a proper Doctor, just a PhD doctor! Pressures on my next post...!

Seriously, thank you Fed!

dr jonny
May I ask what subject(s) your PhD was in?
Gobbedlygook, maybe?
O benji, not a fan eh? Thanks for the insult and for contributing nothing to this forum or to understanding PD with your last post.

Hi oldun. My PhD was in Genetics

Dr jonny
That's where you are very wrong.

I have been on this forum for years and I DO contribute to meaningful posts, just not those that are hot air and provided by a PWP diagnosed very recently.

15 years down the line then I may consider your posts and the affects of Parkinsons meaningful.
PS

Understanding Parkinsons?????

Live my life for the last few years!!

You haven't a clue with your philosophical approaches and mindset over this insidious condition.

Yes,I repeat, goobedlygook hypotheses, and more, but come back to me in 15 years and see if your self help halted Mr P. I very much doubt it, and see if your attempts to control/ halt it have worked.
Benji, if you have 15 years experience of PD then share your insights (I'm interested to learn) but leave your insults and insecurities safely parked in your own head

Dr jonny
Tut tut dr jonny and benji, please leave your squabbles for the playground! Many members have left this forum, and the old forum, because of personal vendettas. We need to receive advice and inspiration from all quarters so pull together and make the attack on the condition rather than each other. (By the way, I have wrestled with PD for 13 years).
:disappointed:
How sad that with all our personal suffering pain and discomfort depression we end up arguing about something which is impossible to answer, who is the more worse for wear as a result of this b.....d disease, please guys ,the world is going down the tubes, lets not ad to the process, oh and dr johnny congratulations on your PhD and continue with your work on the forum.
Regards fed:smile:
Hi Dr Jonny,

Thank you for your response. I regard your academic background and achievement as a valuable asset to this forum. Please keep up your contributions.
Everyone is at different stages and I think we all come on here for glimpses of advise and to pass anything they have learned that might help some else
:smile:
Yesterday it poured , oh to have the summers of Yesteryear when the sun came out
the last week of April and never went away until the back end of October, happy days of my youth, I could not wait for Saturday, I would board the train at our local very rural station, travel to Newcastle Central, then take the short trip to
Gateshead Sheds, where I would be in total joy collecting the treasured numbers of the rapidly disappearing steam traction, I entered the cab of Mallard no fewer than five times, Sir Nigel Gresley, Bittern ,Union of South Africa,these Icons of the steam age were easily accessible no one chased us as we never caused any damage or vandalized anything , I was 13yrs old when I first ventured to this vast wonder filled stadium that was Gateshead MPD I would purchase my ticket from the station Master at Seaton Delaval, return two shillings and sixpence,half my pocket money but well worth it. I was there rain or shine every Saturday , all were friendly and I often found myself in the cab of a newly steamed Locomotive partaking in the delicious egg and bacon cooked on the huge round shovels used to feed the Firebox with its lifeblood ,Coal.
I was almost killed many times but it never prevented me wandering among the sleeping giants I loved it. Then one day in 1966, a fine sunny summers day my heart was broken,I witnessed ten steam Locos being dragged out of the yard by one of the new diesel electric, destined for south wales, Barry scrapyard,I cried.
Sickened by the sight I made for home,I was standing alone on the platform at
Gateshead when four of Gatesheads finest, embarked upon what was then becoming
fashionable a mugging and guess who was the victim I attemted to defend myself but
was no match for the thugs who stole my camera and 10shillings pocket money,when
they tired of the fun they were having they ran off leaving me with a broken rib
a bloody nose and split lip,this was my introduction to the modern world, I never
returned to the Sheds, there is a housing estate on the site with street names
like Mallard Drive and Gresley Ave , I just thought you might like this tale of
woe, I do miss those days, the relevance to the theme of the post is slight but the meaning for yours truly is massive
Kind Regards Fed