Mental Health

I’ve had enduring mental health problems since my teens 55 years ago, they come and go. I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in January 2022. Like many I’d had symptoms for a good few years before the diagnosis last year. The diagnosis wasn’t a shock as I’d suspected the condition beforehand. Recently my mental health has been very good and my attitude toward Parkinson’s had been positive, keeping active, exercising and volunteering. However, since the the new year very gradually my mental health has dipped and continues to decline. The consequences of that exercising has ground to a halt, I still walk my dog but that is more of a dawdle even though I’m out with her for up to an hour, I’m walking slower and my gait feels lumpy and less co-ordinated than it should, in every respect I’m incredibly slow, also form my shoulders down over I’m stiff and I ache except for my arms and hands. I can’t decide whether this is Parkinson’s, mental health, getting older, I just go around in a mental loop. Because of that I’m in a sort of mental paralysis in deciding a course of action, do I approach my mental health team, Parkinson’s team or GP. Thank you for reading this.

Hi @gingerj, :wave:t5:

Welcome back to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

You’ll find that whether or not you have Parkinson’s or getting older, mental health issues can affect us all. Allbeit, living with a condition like Parkinson’s can definitely exacerbate it and it’s truly commendable that you have taken the necessary measures such as keeping active with exercise to help with your mental health and you’ve definitely done the right thing by coming to us for help.

We’re here for you and we’ll do everything in our power to provide you with the right support. :blue_heart:

In addition to the forum, we have some other practical tips and guidance to help you which you can find via our website here. We also have a superb team of advisers via our helpline service You can call our free and confidential helpline on 0808 800 0303.

It’s open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm and Saturday 10am to 2pm. Our trained advisers can provide support to anyone affected by Parkinson’s, whether you’re worried about symptoms or need mental health support.

I hope this information is helpful to you and we have a lovely and supportive group here on the forum who I’m sure you’ll hear from soon.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi Ginger, your post really resonated with me - like you I’ve lived with mental health problems all my adult life, but in 2018 I was put on lithium and finally stopped feeling suicidal for 6 out of every 12 months. I was doing ok, but now,having been diagnosed with PD in April and about to have a DATscan, I worry that I’ll fall back into depression and the lithium will stop working . In your situation I’d suggest talking to your mental health team. I really hope things pick up for you, it’s hell trying to be positive all the time.