Metallic taste

Had anyone ever experienced a metallic taste when taking Ropinerole? The brand I’m currently taking is Spirocco and 12mg per day. It feels the higher the dose and 12mg is the most I’ve taken the worse the metallic taste and burning sensation is.
I started on Repinex prescribed initially by the Consultant but was swapped to Spirocco by my primary care trust.
Anyone else experienced this?
I’ve asked the PD Nurses and GP but no further forward.

Hi Amos. Sorry to hear you’re experiencing issues with your medication. We have lots of information about the side effects of different Parkinson’s drugs on our website, here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/side-effects-parkinsons-drugs

We also have information about eating, swallowing and saliva control, which you may find useful: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/eating-swallowing-and-saliva-control

Lastly we’d recommend you contact our Helpline, as they’re able to offer professional advice on a wide range of issues. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

HI I read with interest about your metallic taste, i lost my taste about 9 months ago and the taste in my mouth is awfull , I clean my teeth use mouthwash but the taste is still there. I am going to see my GP later to-day and i will mention it to him, told PD nurse but she could not come up with a answer. Watch this space.

1 Like

I too have had a really bad taste in my mouth. I was diagnosed May 2019 and the taste started around September 2019. I’ve had an endoscopy, chest x Ray, 2 scans, breath tests and tongue swab. All came back negative. Also been prescribed omeprazol (didn’t agree with me) then
Rabeprazole. No good either. I do not take any PD medication yet but am about to start Sinemet. I’m worried about taking it because of the side effects that I may get. I feel I could cope with the PD symptoms if I could get rid of this foul taste 24/7 which causes me to feel nauseous which of course also makes eating a problem. Who wants to eat when they feel sick all the time. Anxiety explosion.

Hi @Barb1 - did you ever get to the bottom of this and resolve it? My mum has exactly the same problem around a really bad taste.

Sorry - should have asked @mary1947 too, as she too has similar symptoms

hi pautom mary1947 here, yes I have had a bad taste in my mouth, i went to see my GP about 4 months after i had it and it would not go. The GP put me on Lansoprazole 30mg gasto-resistant capsules, which I am still taking, so it must be over a year since the GP pescribed them. They did help a little but I lost my sence of taste but touch wood not my sence of smell. When i posted about this probem it was feb 2020. Since then a litte of my sence of taste has slowly returned, but not as good as it was. Allso I now have very sore lips especially in the corner’s of my mouth. Went to see GP after speaking to my PD nurse as our surgery is a training place and the GP i saw wanted to contact my consultant at QMC said he would get back to me but as yet heard nothing. When you read about PD it is one of the things that we get, Just try your best, Stay Safe mary1947

1 Like