Mobility clues for diagnosis

Hi
I’m new here and hope to find some information for my Dad, aged 78.
I’ve suspected for some time that he has some Parkinson’s symptoms. Stopped posture (but he also has spondylosis so a question mark here), very slow in his movements, vertigo type symptoms, looks awkward moving around etc. Also, a bit forgetful etc.
He’s seen a geriatric consultant in our local hospital about his balance, GP a few times and a ENT consultant in the last two years, but nobody has picked up on these.
He’s now in hospital after his mobility and confusion worsened significantly over a few days. They’re treating him for a UTI. I’m very worried that he can’t even get up from a chair, and can’t seem to manoeuvre himself at all.
One doctor a few days ago said he suspected Parkinson’s. I’m now going to press for him to see a neurologist in case they try and get him out of hospital as soon as he may be able to get up from a chair.
He lives alone since my Mam passed away.
Has anyone else has these type of symptoms dismissed before? I don’t know whether there’s a good reason they know it’s not Parkinson’s, or they’re being dismissive?
I also wonder if it is, and he starts treatment, might it improve his mobility?
So many unanswered questions and a very worried daughter. We just want Dad home when he is safe and the best tretament and physio etc. Just feeling worried and lost.

1 Like

Hello Emily46 and welcome to the forum.
I think there are possibly two things happening here. First and most important, if your Dad does indeed have a UTI this can make someone seem like a massive deterioration has taken place. A person can become confused and disorientated and present almost as if they have dementia and with it often comes a marked decline in their physical function, much as you have described. Once the UTI has been treated, the person you know re-emerges.
Second, in your shoes I would certainly press for further assessment by a neurologist. It may not be Parkinson’s but what you describe does suggest something neurological is going on. If your GP or whoever you talk to sees things differently, make sure you understand their thinking and agree with it; it is sometimes, in my opinion, too easy to put symptoms down simply to the aging process and indeed the symptoms you describe could be seen as elements of ‘just getting old’ You however know your Dad and if you feel something is awry, especially since a doctor has mentioned Parkinson’s, I do think it is worth investigating further. Could you speak to this doctor again about his Parkinson’s comments and if he has noted this because if so it strikes me this is something that the hospital should not just be mentioning in passing and then not act upon. To make it official I think you should speak to the nursing staff about your concerns, see what they say and tell them you need to speak to a doctor.
You may have to stand your ground but don’t be fobbed off you have genuine concerns and need to know what the overall thinking is.
First though I hope the UTI is successfully treated and you get your Dad ‘back.’ That will at least be one worry sorted.
Good luck
Tot

1 Like

Hi and welcome to our forum, Emily. You’ll find everyone here very friendly and supportive, and I know they’ll be along soon to let you know what they think about your dad’s situation. You’re understandably concerned watching him go from an active person to someone who’s just not managing and having some worrying symptoms.

We’d like to make sure you’re aware of the resources we provide, along with the forum. We have a website with research, articles, and archived forum threads, here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/.

I’d also encourage you to ring our Helpline on 0808 800 0303. It’s a confidential service for Parkinson’s information and support. Our advisers would be pleased to talk to you about your dad.

I hope that this situation gets easier and you’ll find some reassurance and answers you’re looking for.

Best wishes
Jem
Forum Moderator

1 Like

hi sorry to hear about your dad . i went for a nurological exam by a nurologist and he said he carnt find anything to suggest parkinsons . i then had a mri that cane back saying i have a subtle hyperintensisity on the left putamen which can be seen in people with parkinism a week ago i had a dactscan and niw awaiting some answers . my pount being is parkinsons is difficult to diagnose esp early in the disease so ask for a mri or dactscan as this is the best way to diagnose parkinsons disease

Good evening Emily46 … I’m 69 & I’ve got Atypical Parkinson’s, Peripheral Neuropathy, New Atrial Fibrillation & Arthritis. I certainly struggle to maneuver myself, I stoop, am slow in my movements & getting up from a chair is a task that takes more than 4 attempts. So I understand a few of the problems your Father has.

Of course it is important to get your Father’s possible Parkinson’s diagnosed but whether they will be able to treat this issue is in doubt. I was diagnosed 8 months ago & am on no Parkinson’s medication at the moment. There is no cure for Parkinson’s, all they can do is try & treat the symptoms. Any progress is snail pace.

Do get the UTI sorted first then see how he is.

Best of luck
Steve2