Mobility

Diagnosed with ‘mild’ PD in May I have experienced increased balance and mobility problems but have few of the other symptoms of PD. I suffer a ‘sciatic’ type pain in my left leg on waking which is not sciatica and which fades down my leg and virtually disappears after a couple of hours. However despite going to the gym for manaed exercise twice a week and being generally quite active the balance and mobility problem gently gets worse it seems.

Has anyone experiencedi similar symptoms?

Hi MS

Well I have sciatic and I also have RLS where I have these pains and feelings that something is walking over my skin, the need to keep moving my legs. But like you I am suffering from leg pain . Dose your pain only happen in the evenings and over night ? I wear support tights this really helps with the pain during the day time, but as soon as they are off the pain is there again. Have you tried wearing different shoes to gym? I know this is not the answer you may be looking for but I hope this helps.

Hope you get to the bottom of it as the not knowing is the worst thing,
Happy new year
Raz

Diagnosed with ‘mild’ PD in May I have experienced increased balance and mobility problems but have few of the other symptoms of PD. I suffer a ‘sciatic’ type pain in my left leg on waking which is not sciatica and which fades down my leg and virtually disappears after a couple of hours. However despite going to the gym for manaed exercise twice a week and being generally quite active the balance and mobility problem gently gets worse it seems.

Has anyone experiencedi similar symptoms

Welcome - and happy new year!

PD seems a very individual thing but my husband has very similar symptoms, he was diagnosed in July. He has never had a tremor though he does have problems with fine movements & coordination. His main physical difficulty is with balance which has been getting progressively worse though physiotherapy aimed at improving his balance is helping a little. He also has marked cognitive issues which his neurologist said are “typical of PD”. They are also getting worse.

Happy New Year to everyone x

I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in March, around 2 months ago I experienced what I thought was sciatica, a pain in the left side of my back travelling down my leg. Absolute agony when I got up in the morning and then gradually feeling better as I moved around. I went to a chiropractor as it was so bad, he said it was a slipped disc.

It is loads better now but I still have the pain when I first get up in the morning, no way as bad as it was though. I was wondering if it could be to do with my Parkinsons.

Interesting to read that a lot of people are having the same problem.

MS I know how you feel. It is not easy to get the diagnosis.Life is not over when we find out we have PD. Besides non-motor symptoms, balance and slowing mobility issues were what caused me to get to the doctor.PD is progressive. What slows it down is exercise! Before we ever go to the doctor most of us compensate our physical pitfalls. In my case my muscle strength had weakened. Through slowly increasing the amount of exercise I got stronger. Rock steady boxing is one good form of exercise. There are others. First off IMO you should make sure that a back disc is not complicating your balance.
In my case I have improved my balance some (50%) betters. I use a cane in public and for walking to maintain stride I use Treck walking sticks. The two poles make me more stable which increase my speed a foot. I hope this helps. PD gives us two chooses. Work hard and go on with our life or give up. Sound to me your no quitter.

1 Like

HI I can second that i have first stages PD and was diagnosed in 2013 i have always had back problems and bouts of mild Sciatica left leg but the last 6 months have been agony !

I developed serious nerve pain similar down to my left leg it was so bad i thought i had actually broke my hip on having xrays i was told no break but my left hip joint was worn and a possible trapped nerve to which an abundance of Co Codamol was prescribed!! which just masks the pain. I now await a visit to orthopaedics
I also read that PD does cause mobility changes and i have found my self shuffling and stooping forwards which will put pressure on the spine especially the lower back and if you already have disk issues PD will increase the issues.
I returned to the GP who was really helpful and understood the fact i was getting depressed from the constant pain and offered counselling on how to battle on. She also prescribed Amitriptilyn to combat the pain and depression and it is starting to work . I take this with my Sinimet each night and codamol through out the day but, be aware they will cause constipation so i drink prune juice for breakfast problem solved.
Another routine which really helps my pain and PD stiffness is to have a hot shower on arising stay in the shower for about 15 mins and even take shower head and direct the hot water to the back of the painful leg .Once you have showered dry off and then apply a hot massage oil to the leg this keeps it flexible then take your pain meds that lasts the day I have also started practising bed stretching yoga where before sleep you lightly stretch your arms and legs to assist the muscles to adapt to the pain . I dont think its all the PD but it sets off issues we already have and makes it worse
Hope this helps

Agree 100% - exercise is the key, both physically and mentally.

I’m not giving up!

John