Motability Adaptations

Hi, I’m new to the forum, thanks for reading my post.

I was diagnosed November 2019, having become very unwell whilst waiting 5 months for appointment with nhs neurologist. Was initially going to be 7 months and I was on the verge of going private, but the day before my private appointment I was offered a cancellation. Neurologist confirmed diagnosis within minutes, said I had probably had symptoms for 2 years. I’m 56. Was signed off work for 7 months, then agreed with employer that best option was to take early retirement due to ill health.

I’ve just received notification that I am eligible for a motability car, as I receive the enhanced mobilitiiy element of PIP, I don’t know where to start looking for a car, there are so many options, so I’m looking for some advice please… I have requested an assessment with Wessex Driveability, but there is currently a 12-week waiting list, so I’m trying to narrow down the field beforehand. I guess that I need an automatic, maybe a small SUV? I’ve driven the same navy blue Zafira for the past 13 years, so am really looking forward to a new car, and would like something a bit more fun. I was initially looking at a yellow Ecosport, but apparently they no longer do an automatic.

I have one knee replacement and the other knee is also arthritic, so I don’t find it easy to get in and out of cars, especially low ones. I also have a weakness on the right hand side from Parkinson’s, so I’m not sure whether I may need to look at adaptations, or whether it would be better for me to keep using my right hand and foot, even if they do get a bit shaky and achy at times.

Any advice on any of the above would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Hi @Moongirl

A very warm welcome to the forum, I am sure people will share their experiences with you in repect of motability. Most garages have a motability adviser who will be able to help you decide what is best for you, you can also arrange test drives with some garages offering longer test drives for motability customers.

I hope this helps and good luck with yoour choice.

Kind regards

Sue - Moderation team

Hi @Moongirl, I have just been on the Carbuyer website and Renault Clio and Kadjar are in the top 10 for Motability. Having said that my stepdaughter has a Kadjar as she has a daughter with disability and gets on well with it. Also in there were Ford Fiesta, Skoda Kamiq and Scala plus a couple of KIA models. Hope this is of some help to you. If they still did the model I would have recommended the Hyundai ix20 for its’ ease of access but sadly this model has been discontinued.

Les

Thanks Les, I’ll have a look at those. The problem is there are so many to choose from.

Hi @Moongirl forgot to put your @ on my post yesterday so as you knew you had got another response, sorry and again good luck with your search, take care, stay safe.

Les

Hi @Moongirl, I note that you have driven a Zafira for the last 13 years, which is now not available unfortunately. The question is, if you were happy with your Vauxhall and the dealer that you dealt with, why not look at the Crossland or Grandland X or perhaps the new Mokka which is out soon. I too have Parkinson’s and osteoarthritis but was not diagnosed until I was 67, 3 years ago. As Motability set an age limit of 65, it was impossible for me to get a vehicle through the scheme, and as an ex Vauxhall aftersales manager,I too have been driving Zafira autos for some years, the last three with a mobility scooter in the back. My problem when I wanted to change the car was that none of the current models could accommodate the scooter. So I sold the Zafira and my wife’s Mokka and we bought a Subaru Forester AWD as we moved from Birmingham to Shropshire and felt that we would need this type of car. I rarely drive now as if we are on a longer run I tend to fall asleep easily which is not conducive with driving! Horses for courses though, virtually every manufacturer has something suitable, but i would suggest that you stay with a mainstream source. If you would like any help with choice, please let me know.

1 Like

If I was in the market for another car I would be looking at C3 Aircross or the Peugeot 2008 which would be similar to your Zafira.

Les

For quality of build and safety I would look at BMW X1 or a B class Mercedes. We had 2 Merck’s and 1 bmw felt totally safe

Thanks for the responses. Just to say that, whilst I loved my zafira, my needs are very different now, and I’m looking for something much smaller and more fun. It needs to be easy to get in and out of, so not too low, and it must be an automatic. Crossland is a possibility, but another vauxhall, and I fancy a change. I want to look at the ford puma, and maybe the jeep renegade. So many options!
I now have an appointment for a driving assessment in 4 weeks, so need to start looking seriously now.

1 Like

Hi sue,
I don’t appear to be getting any notifications for responses to my thread, can you please tell me how to request these?
Thanks

HI @Moongirl

To do this you click on your profie, then on preferences, select notifications (left side of the screen) and make yur choices.

I hope this helps

Regards

Sue - moderation team

Hi @Moongirl, until you go and see these vehicles for real you can’t make an informed decision. I would also consider looking at Suzuki they do a Vitara but again this may be too big for your needs. You can have a look at the Hyundai range there maybe something there that suits your blood !! Good luck, take care and stay safe.

Les