Moving and turning in bed

I have been having the above difficulties for a couple of years, it feels as though i have PJs made from velcro I stick to the bed. I purchased satin bed sheets a six months ago and the difference was unbelievable. Using my bed lever i could swim (movewith relative ease) in my bed. Getting out of bed still posed a problem though. Recently I ordered and had delivered a single adjustable bed, I have been searching the internet for single satin bed sheet without success. I am now back wearing the velcro jacket. Does anyone know where i can purchase a reasonably priced single satin bed sheet.
http://www.satincollections.com/colorrange01.htm

Caroline
Hello bill271,

I haven't got pd but have a chronic back condition so I know what you are talking about trying to turn over, I cannot wear cotton clothes for this reason and wera satin ones, it seem caroline has the answer to our problems and I wonder if the web site has been put in the pd mag if not perhaps they will pick this up.
best wishes
vivian
Hi bill,
same problem here mate, i wear some of my old football shorts with the silky material, works a treat for me.......i also bought some sheets from this company which was an ideal fix heres the link for ya, hope it helps
http://www.textilesdirect.co.uk/store/Passion.html
Hi bill721... My husband has been having the same problem . On top of that he isn't tall and our bed is high.

Even once he is on the bed I have to help lift his legs , He cannot shuffle/adjust himself and ends up flat on his back ..

I did try some silk sheet but they didn't seem to help that much .

For quite a while we have been thinking of getting an adjustable /profile bed . But after the dissapointment with buying an adjustable chair the mechanice of it are fine but it is so uncomfortable . Especially if you spend such a long time in it ..

Can you tell me how you are getting on withyour bed , what kind have you got , and maybe even which company you bought it from ..

Don't know if you have a single or not .

I will look forward to your reply/s

Do you find that you have drenching sweats in bed if so how do you get around it ..

Of course this beautiful weather doesn't help , the heat is so intense it robs of any energy you do have ..

I don't want to get bamboozled into something froma salesman ..

Having said that we did get a STAIRLIFT installed and that has been great , in fact I have recently injured my foot so have been grateful to use it for myself ..
THE BEST MONEY WE HAVE SPENT ..
Welshbear I suppose the silk shirts would do the same thing .

Maybe we could make a team up lol
haha johnnie hows about a five a side team ??.........we cud call us the " Shakey Parkinsonian"s !!" lolol
Wouldn't that be an interesting game . lol
Johnnie , Its not silk sheets, it has to be satin and satin pyjamas and if cant get satin pys then its put a satin pillowcase on top of the satin sheet and lift up his legs and spin him into bed. Then if he has a handrail he can move and adjust himself on this?Two satin surfaces together = hardly any friction.
Did buy an adjustable bed and we found they dont push you in the right place so not much help and because the mattress has to be soft in order to move with the sit up mechanism it isnt any good if you have a bad back..
lots love Sunray
Johnnie

Ispent 7 months looking for a suitable bed, my wife and i always used a sealey bed, perhaps on of the of the best beds. I have Parkinson's and degenerative spinal disease and was only sleeping 3 to 5 hours per night. The bed we opted for was a Kingsize Adjustable. The base links together to make a kingsize bed while at the same time the beds operate independly as two single beds. The mattress is a number 3, the firmest in the range, and is topped with memory foam. Since getting the bed i have been sleeping between 5 to 7 hours each night. It is a most comfortable sleep. I don’t know if I am allowed to mention the manufacturer on the forum, if you want to know send a personal email address.
It's all a bit of a minefield isn't it !!.. That's a good idea sunray the pillow cases .. When my mum was in hospital , she had had a very bad stroke , they used slider shets so |Iunderstand the principal . Of course they generally had 2 nurses when they used it ..

I have seen a turning adjustable bed on line ,the centre of the bed is like a chair , chair You sit on it and the it turns onto the bed . Of course they cost an arm and a leg ..

How is evertyone coping with this heat . It has really wiped my husband out . It's the same when very cold ..

Thank you for your feedback ..
I did wonder if one of the beds would be suitable because my husband is quite short and thought maybe the break in the mattress would come in the wrong place ..
I HAVE HAD A BRAIN WAVE LOL . I FOUND A SATINY TABLECLOTH .

CUT IT INTO FOUR PIECES PLACED TWO PIECES TO GO UNDER HIS BOTTOM . WORKS A TREAT FOR THE TIME BEING . AND TWO SPARE ..

i AM THINKING ABOUT LOOKING FOR A LARGER ONE . THEN I WILL CUT A SHEET IN HALF AND INSERT IT IN THE MIDDLE . WILL STILL HAVE A GRIP ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SHEET ..
Hi Bill
I bought satin bedding about 4 years ago and I wouldnt be without it! I started off with a bottom sheet.....now I boast bottom sheet, duvet, pillowcase and PJ's, all in satin! I suspect an occupational therapist would say you risk sliding out of bed with everything in satin, so beware,but, personally, I have never found this a problem. My bed linen all came from "Between the Sheets" in Devizes, Wiltshire. ph 01380739234 (or google Between the Sheets"). Dont be put off by the slightly raunchy overtones! On their website there is a section titled "Easy Slide/Easy Turn" which features a bottom sheet which has the top two thirds made in satin and the bottom third made in poly cotton to give your feet a better grip when you try to move yourself around in bed. They also do duvet "grippers" which stop your satin duvet falling off the bed.
I promise I dont have any shares!
germander
I have just googled Between the sheets . The slide and turn sheets seems to be just what I have been looking for
Thanks for that germander, that's been really helpful.

http://www.pinkcamellia.com/search.asp?types2=yes&type2=Dressing+gowns
http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/bedroom/sliding-sheets-1535-p/

I had an OT visit about 6 months ago,they provided me with a bed rail and wendylett sheet,has made such a difference.
Since my last post we have been given aprofile hospital bed . I can now lower it for him to get onto the bed although because the rail is alongside it , he still has ro reach over backwards which he doesnt fin easy the I raise it so that I can help lift his legs up and turn him onto the bed . I have been using a small piece of slidy waterproof sheet which elps with the turning and then when I raise the rail he can shuffle alo ng on it . When he is in place I turn him and remeove the the slidy piece . I do the same thing in reverse when he gets out in the morning . KIt has taken a while to work out what has been best for us .

As I thought though the breaks in the bed are very rigid and although he has a support mattress it is still not very comfortable .. I

I do fin it a strain though when he needs to raise himself up off the bed when getting out but I daresay we will get round that as well eventually .

My next try is a rope ladder .