Mucuna Extract

Anyone tried the ‘Macuna Extract’ from British Supplements? Www.british-supplements.net It’s advertised as ‘clean mucuna extract’ 99% l-dopa. 483mg in a capsule. I’m on a bundle of meds at the moment so I’m trying one tablet at night which is when my meds are at the lowest and find turning over in bed as easy as pie.I don’t find myself dozing off during the day.

Ten years ago we were very positive about mucun a supplements with comments like ’ Mucuna was two to three times more effective than equivalent amounts of synthetic L-DOPA. This suggests that Mucuna may contain compounds that make L-DOPA function better such as carbidopa, tolcapone (Tasmar), or entacapone (COMTan). It may also suggest that Mucuna independently improve symptoms of Parkinson’s disease’. Has that changed?

I was diagnosed in 2007. I am now on two dispersable co-benoldopa, eight co-envelope capsules, 8 mg of ropinerole and 50mg opicapone. I have tried entacapone and couldn’t accept the side effects. I am trying the extract and worrying about side effects and overdosing. Sometimes I think I am losing the plot and will end up in care with dementia.

I am a also taking co -q enzyme, cbd oil capsules, turmeric with curcumin and black pepper and a few other vitamins.

I would really like a cure but I may as well ask for ‘sky kid’s and ice cream’. You know what they say ‘if you don’t ask…’

I would like meds with less side effects. Is it possible to mix some extract with prescribed meds?

What say yee. Any experiences or opinions would be appreciated.

I meant to say ‘sky pie and ice cream’ ,wishfull thinking

Yes, I am also trying it…along with my 6 times a day Sinemet ( I was on Ropinerole 2 yrs ago & felt GHASTLY…butI suppose we ll react differently)… I rang my Parkinsons’s nurse to check it was OK with the meds but he couldn’t comment as it’s a herb. Said to check my responses!
I’ve only been taking it a week so will wait 3 months & see.
I do take CBD oil an hour before bed & I find it helps with sleep
Good luck!!!

Thanks for the reply.

I have found out, via my Parkinson’s nurse, who discussed said extract with the neurologist I am registered with. He has looked into the application of ‘Macuna Prurins’ That the extract I have bought is
roundabout the same dosage as two 125mg co-beneldopa \ macular tablets. This opens up a few possibilities but also posed more questions. Such as will opicapone work with it? As it does with artificial ‘l-dopa’.

I was also told that there other people trying a similar approach

Very encouraging.

Don’t give up! Don’t accept ‘just a herb’ as an answer. Persevere make a nuisance of yourself.

The knowledge is out there!!!

Hi. I’ve had some discussion with the Parkinsons nurse about taking Extract capsules this has been discussed with my Neurologist. They are quite happy with this.
I am going to take an extra Mucuna Extract capsule overnight for a month which should be enough time to see if I have any problems. Up to now I have taken a capsule overnight and I find that I have a better nights sleep and if I have to go to the bathroom during the night I can walk.

My next step depends on how this goes. If I don’t have any problems I am will consider replacing the Madopar I take at six pm with an extract capsule.

I am currently taking two Madopar at 9 , 12, 3 and six. This would reduce my prescribed medicine by 25%.

25% less side effects. :grin::grin::grin:

Ray

I get mine from Blackburn Distribution, 99%. I kid 500 mg with Green Tea powder and bung it in fizzy water which aids dispersal. Gives me 4/5 hours on time.

Best, Adam

Hello Jeeves, I can’t believe that I missed this post as I’ve been trying to source Muncuna (mucca) Pruriens for a while now. I’ve just now ordered a 10g bag from Blackburn Distribution. They say the dosage can be from 0.5g - 500g. So I might start at 0.5mg as I’ve not taken any parkinsons med yet and want to focus on mucuna. (I’ve tried mucuna powder from ‘Indigo Herbs’, Glastonbury and have taken 7.5g and a couple of times 15g mixed with fruit juice but it has not worked. I’m hopeful that the Blackburn powder will work seeing that you have tried it. I’m reluctant to try 500mg as my first dosage. Would you have any other insight as to possible dosage for a first time trier? Thanks

Sorry I took time to reply. Your post went to spam? I tried various MP before going to 99%. The others just didn’t work until I started adding some 99. I was sick a lot before I realised I was being rather cavalier about doses. I got rid of the other strengths and concentrated on the 99. DO take green tea powder or ECGC with it as this helps it get over the blood brain barrier. A friend adds ascorbic acid as apparently it combats nausea? You need to work up to an amour that gives you relief and go up slowly otherwise you’ll probably vomit :face_vomiting:. Get yourself a very fine weighing scale and keep a record of your amounts etc. I take 500mg which is about a 1/4 of a teaspoon and somewhat less matcha powder. This gives me 5/6 hours ON time. Oh and I add half a Madopar to the drink too. But you must take it steady because if you puke you’ll discount it whereas the rewards are great in the longer term re.no dyskinesia and as I say, it works quicker than Madopar and lasts much longer. There’s a book by a Spanish neuro called Rafael Gonzales? and he discusses MP at length and will give you the science and chemistry behind it. Good luck :wink:.

PS start small and stay at a level for a while until you proceed even if you’re not getting any therapeutic results to begin with. Remember you haven’t got the carbidopa to stop the nausea but you WILL avoid this in time with stealth.

Afternoon Hob
I am just about to trial British Supplements Clean Mucuna can you advise how it has been affecting you and how often you take a capsule. Thanking you in advance.