Mucuna/Mucca Pruriens 15g/30g dosage

Hello, Can anyone advise as to whether one can obtain a 15g or 30g tablet dosage of mucca pruriens? A Katzenschlager 2004 J. Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, 75, 1672-77 article stated 15g or 30g mucuna effective. I’ve bought ‘Indigo Herbs’ mucuna powder but trying to trace this dosage (15g or 30g) in tablet form as it’s a lot of powder to take and it doesn’t dissolve very well.

Background:-
diagnosed 2017
tremor in right thumb, hand, arm, lesser tremor in right thigh
don’t wish to take any medication
since Jan. tremor stronger and a very sore pain has come in right thumb (thumb dislocating all the time), hand and arm & shoulder
can’t go to gym anymore, daily activities eg dressing, opening cans etc all problematic due to this pain
time has likely come to make decision re medication
neurologist not able to offer advice re dosage of mucuna due to quality of various products being hard to verify
GP suggested infusion (can’t remember which method) of Parkinson’s medication instead of tablets (to avoid breakdown in stomach and resulting side effects).
He suggested reading around this option which I will do.
I still don’t want to take medication so therefore exploring mucuna pruriens dosage via the Parkinson’s UK forum
a Katzenschlager 2004 J. Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, 75, 1672-77 article stated 15g or 30g mucuna effective. I’ve bought ‘Indigo Herbs’ mucuna powder but trying to trace this dosage (15g or 30g) in tablet form as it’s a lot of powder.
a Cilia 2017 Neurology, 89, 432-38 found 17.5 mg & 12.5mg effective. However I don’t understand the huge difference in dosages between the 2 studies.
I’m grateful to have the facility of the forum to explore this mucuna option.

Why don’t you want to use medication? What is micuna, if not medication?

Hi I’m a gp with Pd an 44 dx 4 years ago I used mucuna dopa
https://www.biovea.net/uk/product/detail/3859/mucuna-dopa-250mg-60-vegetarian-capsules
For first couple to help me type I still do now as am on low dose rasagaline and ropinirole and use sinemet 1 tablet 25/100 only when go for long run… I found 2 tablets roughly had same effect one sinemet but wore off bit quicker bout 3 hours hope this helps xx but medication v good if it helps you more go for it!!!

Sorry just read your symptoms in more detail ( cat being sick and rushing make dinner!!!)
I was the same as you wanting to avoid meds but I think you will feel so much better give it a try quality of life paramount and exercise is better than most meds x

Thanks for replying. I’ll continue to read around mucuna pruriens to try and see if someone can recommend a particular brand of mucuna and dosage. I’m using ‘Indigo Herbs’ mucuna powder 5g but hasn’t worked. I’ve been taking it for 4 days.

I take it that the mucuna didn’t work for you but I’m glad your medication regime is working for you.

ps. I forgot to say CM, that I’m also taking 2 capsules daily of ‘NOW’ Dopa Mucuna. I’ve been taking those for 3 months but don’t appear to work. I’ll try your suggested brand Biovea also. Thank-you again.

Hi momo
I take the minimum meds and they work but so does mucuna (I still take off when needed) so it’s just getting balance of what is best for you…exercise works even better than meds though and I notice that if I work out intensely early am I have virtually zero symptoms rest of day…and would strongly recommend an intense regime… good luck with your experimentation xx

I tried Now Mucuna tablets but found them not very effective. I have been using Zandopa Mucuna powder for nearly 3 years - 20gm early in the day and 10gm just before bedtime. I take it with very little water (which neutralises the ldopa) , give the quickest of all stirs then knock it back with a rocking motion that enables lumps of undiluted powder to be swept into the back of the mouth and straight down the throat. Don’t try to dissolve the powder. That destroys its properties very quickly.
There is a very good Spanish product, AtremoPlus, which is derived from the ldopa-rich humble broad bean. But it costs a lot more than Zandopa but is claimed to have neural protective properties. I take 10gm of that after lunch stirred Into a little fruit-based yogurt.
I tried taking Madopa under instruction from the NHS - not impressed - felt sick the whole time. Also I developed skin cancer after taking it for a while, not realising that Madopa is contra-indicted for people with skin cancer. I have had no further trouble with skin cancers since reverting to Zandopa.
I also take plenty of exercise, usually just after my morning dose of Z. This regime sets me up well for the day.
Good luck. JCPB

Hello cm
Thanks again. I’ve sourced a brand -zandopa but unable to order it due to delays because of coronavirus. Earliest date I’ve traced is July. I did indeed exercise but stopped in Feb due to my thumb dislocating due to the Parkinsons’s tremor. Can’t get it treated due to tremor and no operations due to virus. I feel that I’ve run out of road due to these two things impacting on me doing without the med. I feel I’ll have to ring the gp today to avail of the sinimet prescription the consultant left for me. So the parkinsons has beaten me in the end. I did without for nearly 4 years but the pain of the dislocation and very sore hand, arm and shoulder because of that I feel has made me run out of road. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks jc. I’ve sourced that brand -zandopa (it was via amazon) but unable to order it due to delays because of coronavirus. Earliest date I’ve traced is July and the pain I’m in at the moment is ruling that wait out I think. I did indeed exercise but stopped in Feb due to my thumb dislocating due to the Parkinsons’s tremor. Can’t get it treated due to tremor and no operations due to virus. I feel that I’ve run out of road due to these two things impacting on me doing without the med. I feel I’ll have to ring the gp today to avail of the sinimet prescription the consultant left for me. So the parkinsons has beaten me in the end. I did without for nearly 4 years but the pain of the dislocation and very sore hand, arm and shoulder because of that I feel has made me run out of road. Thanks for the brands that was what I required. Can’t believe the coincidence with the unavailability and my needing to act re decision re med this week as I’m doing more damage to my right thumb/hand/arm/shoulder. Thanks again indeed.

Great to read all these posts. I was diagnosed in September ( just mild left leg tremor at present but can feel it is increasing and sometimes my arm has a quick flap around in the night). I am keen to avoid maldopa for as long as possible and am taking Mucuna pruriens ( from Indigo herbs). Really dont know how much i should be taking. At present i take 2 and sometimes 4 grams a day. Should i try a higher dose perhaps? My tremor is not bad and seems a bit random as to when it occurs so its hard for me to tell what is and is not working! Any advice re good products and dosages gratefully received. Caroline

Hi
I currently take Mucuna 15gm twice per day. I have been taking it for 2 years now. The only side effect I have encountered is drooling. A book called Mucuna versus Parkinson by Dr Rafael Gonzales is tHe authorit’s on the subject. JCPB