Music Therapy

" A Rhythmic Approach to Music Therapy for Parkinson’s Patients" -

A Rhythmic Approach to Music Therapy for Parkinson’s Patients (cuanschutz.edu)

I’ve always played musical instruments, but this article has renewed my interest and I shall be starting a regime of practicing scales to the metronome, with a target of increasing speed, or at least not losing any more agility in my fingers.

1 Like

This is very interesting Lemon as I recently purchased and am teaching myself to play the glockenspiel. it was intended to be just for pleasure and to exercise the old grey cells but if it has a wider therapeutic value that would be an unexpected bonus. Thanks for flagging this up.
Tot

1 Like

You may be interested in this book, "Music As Medicine particularly in Parkinson’s Paperback – Illustrated, 21 April 2020 by Daphne Bryan. Also Canterbury Cantata Trust run Zoom singing sessions “Sing to beat Parkinsons” see
https://www.canterburycantatatrust.org.uk/our-choirs/sing-to-beat-parkinson-

1 Like

@Tot Interested to hear how you are getting on with the glockenspiel as was thinking of trying it - any advice on what sort to buy?

Hello Folkmusician
More than happy to tell you of my glockenspiel experience… First and most important as far as I am concerned is that I enjoy it and it’s been fun finding out about it. First thing is they come in at a wide range of prices. I bought a cheapish one to get started and see how I got on with it but it was quite tinny and that was irritating and nothing like I remembered the sound being so I quite quickly decided to upgrade. I came across this which was most helpful

and spent around £100.00 on one that was popular in schools and that has been money well spent. This one sounds great even with my amateur efforts. I used YouTube to find out how to hold the mallets and how to strike them properly and other useful bits and pieces. It’s worth taking a look at info for xylophones as much of it can be applied to the glockenspiel and there is more of it… I am not taking lessons it is purely for my pleasure and I just have a go until it sounds right and now have a small but growing repertoire aided by a couple of books for ideas and simple tunes.
It took a while for me to be consistent in striking the bars and sometimes because of my Parkinson’s I can’t always strike it cleanly but that’s ok. It also took a bit of working out how I could be most comfortable, for me that means keep playing time short with short breaks rather than try a full 30 minutes or something. I play it most days.
I have loved the glockenspiel since school but didn’t get the opportunity to try it then - I remember being quite jealous of the music teacher when she was given a glockenspiel as part of her retirement gift lol. I was talking to a friend who has been taking clarinet lessons just because she always wanted to learn and that led to my telling her about my love of the glockenspiel and my eventual purchase.
I hope this has been helpful. Let me know how you get on if you do go for it.
Best wishes
Tot

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. Will definitely explore this. Thanks again☺