Music

I have produced an electronic music album called 'Weird Medicine' which is the story of my battle with the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease and the associated side effects of the drugs and medical treatments.

The album has been produced under the pseudonym DrBolix and has been accepted by the world's biggest online music distributor iTunes.

Research shows Music improves brain function one benefit being helping to produce Dopamin the chemical Parkinson's suffers lose as the disease progesses.

Search for the album 'Weird Medicine' on iTunes for a unique audible description of the symptoms and side effects of Parkinson's Disease.

Half of all net royalty proceeds from the 'Weird Medicine' album are to be donated to Parkinson’s research.

Back in 2010, I was still refusing to take any medication or indeed accept that I had Parkinson’s Disease. I’d been diagnosed a number of years earlier and as a result had begun to suffer the depressing and challenging mental and physical consequences of the Disease.

The slow onslaught of this little understood and debilitating disease was proving to be more and more challenging. Imbalance, tremors, loss of coordination, muscle stiffness, tiredness and depression all contributed to an extremely unpleasant experience.

I therefore succumbed to my Doctor’s insistence that I start taking the appropriate medication. There followed a long process of finding and constantly monitoring a fine balance of medical treatment. Some of the results are colourfully described in my music album ‘Weird Medicine’.

Nonetheless, I could well have been in a far worse situation given my numerous travel and entrepreneurial adventures and the crazy times experienced during my days of saloon car racing and hurtling around the British and European countryside on various high powered motorcycles.

But, there I was in 2010, I’d gone from believing I can almost walk on water to feeling uncomfortable leaving the house!

As I'm sure all aware there is currently no cure for PD however ,there are many medicines that for a period of time reduce the symptoms. However, these medicines come with the inevitable 'may cause side effects’ on the accompanying leaflet hence Track 4 on the 'Weird Medicine' album.

Now, here in 2015, with time on my hands together with my usual determination and tenacity and quite possibly a little help from some of the medication, I have been able to capitalise on my aspirations for creating expressive music and hopefully, in turn effectively conveying the many symptoms and frustrations of living with PD and its accompanying medication.

Any other frustrated musicians out there?

'Weird Medicine' https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/id954855121 … is the story of my journey with Parkinson's Disease and the associated medicines over the last 12 years

Hi Dr B 

Welcome to the forum. I have  not listened to your music yet but I will do soon. I was dx in 2005 so perhaps a similar time to you. In all that time Parkinson's hasn't damaged my musical abilities at all but tha is only because I never had any.

I think quite a few people with Parkinson's find that the condition spurs them to new artistic expression in some way or another. Parkinson's UK runs an annual award scheme, the Mervyn Peake Award, for art by PwP. There is also a video competition that runs as part of the World Parkinson Congress event. Next WPC is in September 2016.

Elegant Fowl