My introduction as the son of a PD sufferer

Hi everyone,

My father was diagnosed with Parkinson's 4 years ago, he's had plenty of bad luck with health and accidents such as 2 hip replacements, throat cancer amongst other things so it was quite a blow to hear the bad news.

He continued to work till last week, he's finally retired at 69 which I'm delighted about, his main symptoms are trembling on one side which is unfortunately the majority of the time now and his walking and stiffness of the neck are now affected. However he is well enough to still be independent.

I'd like to be better informed in how to support him and to make sure that he gets as much professional support as possible, hence my joining the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Armoured_Bear.

Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to find advice and information from others affected by Parkinson's.

Does your father have a Parkinson's local adviser? Advisers have a wide range of knowledge about Parkinson's and can help with finding services in your area and support: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/content/support-you

We also have a free Helpline where you or your Father could speak to a nurse about his symptoms and difficulties walking. The number is 0808 800 0303 (we're open weekdays 9am - 7pm and Saturday 10am -2pm.)

Best wishes,

Joanne - Digital team.