My story!

Hi

This is my first post on here and I don't normally do this kind of thing but just wanted abit of advice to see if anyone has been through anything similar and can point me in the right direction.

I am the daughter-in-law of an 81 year old who got diagnosed with Parkinsons nearly 15 years ago.

She now lives in a residential carehome as she was unable to live on her own.

The problem I have is that, yes the carehome are looking after her ie washing / dressing her, preparing meals etc but they don't seem to have any concept (or more likely the time) to assist her with her normal day to day living, or appreciate what it is like to live with Parkinsons on a day to day basis.  Just something as simple as being with her whilst she goes say for a 10 minute walk around the home.

As a result, she sits in her wheel chair most of the day and is not walking.  So her mobility has decreased enormously. And as you can imagine she is extremely depressed and frustrated (which then gets taken out on me , which I totally understand).

Is there anything out there that I could tap into to say get someone from outside to come in a couple of times a week just to be with her whilst she walks.

I just feel like I don't know what to do and she is reluctant for me to approach the carehome.

Any advice from anyone would be great!

Hi Hotspur1,

One of Parkinson's UK slogans is: No-one has to face Parkinson's alone.......My suggestion is to contact them. Is there support out there for (advanced) Parkinson's patients in care homes , for where Peer Support telephone contact would not be sufficient/ practical ?

Hi Hotspur1,

Please do give our Helpline team a call on 0808 800 0303 (opening times: Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm). Our trained advisers will be able to put you in touch with a Parkinson's local adviser, and other sources of support and services in your area. We can offer support and information for everyone affected by Parkinson's, including family and friends. As Kate mentions above we want to make sure no-one has to face Parkinson's alone.

Take care,

Joanne

(Digital team) 

Thanks Kate. I will give them a ring. X