My wife wants a extension

cool

Hello all.

Now that I have stirred your curiosity, we have the plans for a new extension passed and will begin looking for reputable builders,collecting estimates etc,also I have heard that there is no VAT to pay if the work is to make my life easier, which it is, as the build will include a new  shower and toilet facilities, does anyone know if this is correct, about the VAT I mean, and is there any construction companies recommended by PDUK, any  assistance and guidance would be most wellcome as I hate upheaval and mess and this project is causing me to enter worry mode?  not nice. I have had a unpleasant episode this morning, and it was nothing  to do with CNATIONST,  I  thought I was having a stroke, my speech failed and my memory, it turns  out I had slightly overdosed on my madopar, due to my memory playing up I had forgotten I had taken my drugs not only that my wife had also administered my soluble version earlier,all of which I had no recollection hence my peculiar behaviour, ok now.

Kindest Regards   FED

Yep Fed, that's the troof. BUT of course all sorts of conditions about what work for what people is eligible. Builders consider it a pain - much easier for them to slap 20% on just in case. Read all abaht it at https://www.gov.uk/vat-builders/disabled-people and https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vat-relief

Hi fed

Sorry but we don't recommend particular companies. But it is worth reading our page and resources on home adaptations. They suggest speaking ot an occupational therapist. An OT can tell you whether the changes you're considering are the best ones for your situation. They may also be able to suggest companies. 

To find out whether the changes you're thinking about are eligible for VAT relief, speak to one of the benefits advisors on our helpline at 0808 800 0303. 

I hope that helps

Ezinda

Re VAT relief advice - alternatively offer your chosen builder cash. 

Lloyd

also fed if you have a room adapted for you ,you get a further 20% of your council tax, A1 BUILDERS  LTD ARE GREAT I  USED TO WORK FOR THEM ! BOSS IS A GREAT FRIEND OF MINE & OFFERS THE COMPLETE BUILD FROM GROUND TO FINISH ! THATS IF YOU LLIVE IN THE SOUTH WEST THO! OR NEAR BY.

Hello and thank you all for your advice, I live in Northumberland, Gus but thankyou anyway,I have a couple of Builders recomended, but its early days yet.

Thanks Again       FED

no probs fed!

Hi all,

Fed, I don't think the builders can refuse to apply for a VAT refund when you are entitled to it as work is being done to help you.  There is a form that they have to complete and send off.

As far as the upheaval is concerned, if you can, try and think of it as an exciting time when you can sit down and watch the delivery of building materials arriving and you don't have to walk on by being thought of as nosey -  it's for you!

Years ago, we had a builder come into our home to do an extention and after he'd been working for a year, he walked into our unfinished kitchen to find me crying my eyes out because it never seemed like he was going to finish.  The job was finished in two weeks and we never saw him again.

Best wishes - Carie

cool

Hello Casie I have been given a list of recommended builders by my team boss at NTGH and others, and also addresses  of satisfied customers, I will follow up these connections and only when satisfied will I choose a contractor, I am sorry you were reduced to tears by  your builder  , I  used to be in the construction world so I will pick up on any cowboys instantly, thank you for replying.

Kindest Regards     FED

I'm sorry if I came over sad - I'm not.  It was about 25 years ago and I thought it was quite funny that this sobbing woman could make somebody move themselves!

It was just one instance.  I wasn't thinking for one minute anything else.

All the best

Casie