Nasty experience

Yesterday about four thirty, I had a nasty experience. I slowly lost the use of my legs, and my knees were aching. By six PM I was stranded on the floor, unable to pull myself up.
My son helped me up, and put me to bed. However, by ten PM, I was able to get out of bed, and stand up.
I have a very bad cold at the moment, something I have not had in years.
I am not sure if this is to do with the cold, or my Parkinsons.
I don’t want a repeat of this, so I am hoping it has gone away

Good afternoon JonnyD … You have not given us much information to go on. From your post I would guess you are male, you have a son so that puts you age 35+ & you have a very bad cold. You also have Parkinson’s.

I am 69, I have Atypical Parkinson’s, I have Peripheral Neuropathy, I have just had a bad case of Atrial Fibrillation, I also have arthritis in my spine & joints. I am otherwise fit & healthy. I exercise within my limits. I eat healthily. I weigh 13 stone & I’m a little over 6 feet tall. I don’t smoke or drink. I do not have diabetes. My left leg feels numb & my leg muscles rigid most of the time.

My big issue is mobility … walking, standing still, getting up from a chair & initiating movement. I have had a number of incidents where my legs do not work at all. I might be sleeping in bed & need the bathroom which is literally a few feet away & I struggle to get there. I have sort of got used to it.

I am not sure which of my conditions causes these problems. It might be a combination.

I am actually going to Brighton hospital for muscle & nerve tests on Saturday to see
if there is a clue as to what is wrong with me.

If I had to guess I would say that you were weakened by your bad cold [man-flu] & that you have arthritis in your knees. If it is the first time this has happened & you recovered quickly I would imagine it is a one off issue.

Best wishes
Steve2

Hi Steve2.
I’ll try to put you in the picture.
I am eighty-three, I don’t have any problems with my joints. I have never smoked; I have a little drop of cider every evening. Parkinsons, has caused me a few problems. I have numb feet, my nose runs every time I eat anything, and my walking is very slow. I also have problems getting up from any chair,it takes three or four attempts to succeed.
My wife has MS, and I look after her. She walks very slowly with a frame, but she also has falls, when her legs will not support her. She cannot stand without support, so I do all the cooking. My daughter-in-law help with cleaning, and helps my wife by pushing a wheelchair when she goes out. She has an automatic car with hand controls. I don’t drive, as I have eyesight problems, and very deaf.
I hope that gives a little insight to my life.
All the best for your hospital appointment.

Hello JonnyD … Thanks for your reply. Wow, you have a lot on your plate. I would suggest increasing your [cider] medication.

As to your “numb feet” … This sounds similar to what I have which was diagnosed as Peripheral Neuropathy. I was given Amitriptyline which has helped me a lot. It is something you might mention. Our Parkinson’s can get blamed for every symptom we have, sometimes unfairly.

Best of luck.
Steve2