Natural remedies

ANYBODY RECOMMEND ANY NATURAL REMEDIES TO HELP SYMPTOMS
Natural remedies ?

I take COQ10 1200 mg per day, (though a trial was stopped after inconclusive data). You can buy 600 x 400 mg from the States on Ebay for around £ 70.
Vit D3 5000 units per day, Curcumin 875 mg per day, Vit B2 100 mg per day. There are a lot of others people swear by. Try the Neurotalk forum in the States for other ideas.
Fava (Broad Beans)contain dopamine (in both the pod and bean). Be careful if you're already taking meds it may conflict. Google 'Aunt Bean Parkinson'
Mucuna Pruriens - again a Natural source of dopamine - but again be careful if on meds, search the Neurotalk forums.
Nicotine excites the receptors (if you smoke already)
Diet, Exercise, early nights, positive attitude

I you currently take no meds, consider the Cogane Trial currently recruiting
( details on this forum in the Research section )

:grin: Peter
I don't think you could say the Co-enzyme Q10 trial was inconclusive. It showed no signs of having any effect, i.e. a waste of time and money to continue.
They simply said there was no significant difference. For 35p per day I personally will continue, even if just for the placebo effect :laughing:

CoQ10 Trial Stopped Early
CoQ10 may not slow the progression of early Parkinson’s disease as many had thought. Last week the QE3 trial was stopped early. Now what?

CoQ10 is an enzyme that improves the function of the mitochondria, the “powerhouses” that produce energy in cells. It also “mops up” potentially harmful chemicals (“free radicals”) generated during normal metabolism. People with PD have low levels of this potent antioxidant in their mitochondria and also show impaired mitochondrial function. Levels of CoQ10 can be increased by taking supplements.

Early studies were promising. The QE2 trial which had 80 participants produced enough interesting data to suggest the value of a larger study. The QE3 trial was a very large study of 600 participants conducted at many research centers around the US and abroad. The goal of the trial was to find out whether CoQ10 could slow the progression of Parkinson’s disease.

Apparently, it can’t. The Drug Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) determined that there was not a statistically significant difference among the control group, the 1200 mg group, and the 2400 mg group to justify continuing the trial. The trial was well implemented; there were no flaws in the methodology, and no safety issues. It’s just not the outcome we wanted!

So, back to our question. Now what? Parkinson’s patients are encouraged to discuss with their neurologists whether they should continue taking the supplement. There may, in fact, be other health benefits from taking CoQ10, such as for heart disease, cancer and strengthening the immune system.

Clinical trials are valuable whether or not the supplement or drug being tested proves efficacious. We learn just as much from failures as we do from successes. The QE3 trial proved that CoQ10 is not effective in delaying the symptoms of early Parkinson’s. Fortunately, there are many other therapies currently being tested that may be able to do so. So, let’s keep our hope alive!

http://www.recentlydiagnosedwithpd.org/home/2011/5/25/coq10-trial-stopped-early.html
I've been on the QE2, but I didn't know they were trialling the QE3 already.
Hell I didn't even know they were building it!
....think it hit an iceberg :grin:
Like Krugen, I am continuing to take co enzyme Q10. Krugen mentioned the placebo effect. I read this interesting paragraph about the placebo effect on a research site. It's food for thought:
In Parkinson's disease, the placebo effect is especially strong. One reason is that patients' expectations that they will benefit from a treatment induce the release of dopamine11, the neurotransmitter that is lacking in the disease. "The placebo effect is real, it's huge and it's got a physiological basis," says Jon Stoessl, a neurologist at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, who studies Parkinson's and the placebo effect. In one double-blind study of fetal nerve-cell transplants, patient improvement correlated with whether they believed they had received the treatment, irrespective of whether they actually had12. And the effect can last as long as two years, Stoessl says, citing an unpublished study by his colleagues.
For myself, I'm a great believer in meditation and relaxation exercises. To what extent this is down to the placebo effect I could'nt say but it works for me. After all, we have to swallow enough pills as it is.
Hi Buzzicles,

My mum, like Krugen, takes CoQ10 and Curcumin (Tumeric). The other one she takes is Acetyl L-Carnitine & Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Hi Krugen,

Can you PM me with the place you order your CoQ10 from? Is it UK or US based? I pay $AUD80 (around 50 Quid) or so for 150 tablets of 400mg. This is a US company. Thanks!

Cheers,
Rico