Neurologists

When we last visited my husband's neurologist in April this year, he said he thought that we'd see a cure for PD in our lifetime, which was very encouraging.

Possibly he was just trying to assuage my concern, but he's a man of very few words, and those he does utter are very carefully thought out, so he's not given to making rash statements.

I was just wondering if anyone else's neurologist ever has anything positive/encouraging to offer?
Hi

That sounds good, the only good news my consultant gives me is that I have not deteriorated as fast as I might. I hope your husbands consultant knows something mine doesn't. :laughing:

Regards Sugerplum
My wife's neurologist is optimistic of if not a cure but a major breakthrough in halting the disease within 5 years. He has a wry sense of humour and told her if she was going to get the disease there was never a better time as there appears to be a confidence that the researchers are getting closer to understanding the disease.

You have to try to be optimistic otherwise the future is daunting. We try as hard as we can to live for today and put off thoughts of the future.

We've only met the neurologist twice but he seems well informed and tells you thinks straight.
enormous advances have been made in understanding pd. but some of those advances have resulted in understanding that it is more complex than was thought.
i am confident (dx 4 years) that there will be treatment available when i need it to carry on a reasonably normal life. personally, that is all i require.
a complete cure may occur, but it would be a medical miracle. but these things can happen. however ezinda would need a new job!
The most comforting if not exactly positive or encouraging thing that my Consultant said to me (and I quote ) "Parkinson's is a horrible disease, and I am constantly amazed at the bravery, humour and determination of those diagnosed with it". Her saying that made me feel that I was not making mountains out of molehills
My neurologist never really has much to say, i have seen a different one every time and the last one had to confer with their superior next door as they had not much experience in this field!
good to see some positive messages in this thread. As Turnip says a cure may be a miracle but if they can find a way to stop pd's progression that would be a huge step forward. As for neurologists it seems a matter of luck as to whether you get a good one or not
Yes, Davech, it certainly is good to see a bit of positivity come out of this thread, which is exactly why I started it.

I seem to be perpetually clutching at straws, i.e. looking of tiny shreds of hope in every posting, and in that respect I'd particularly like to thank you, Turnip, for responding with a positive attitude. It has really helped me, and I hope may have helped others too.
Sorry - that should have read "....looking for tiny shreds of hope...."!
Indeed Turnip is to be complimented, his posts are normally positive and more importantly informative. He seems very knowledgeable about this pox of a disease
The message I constantly hear is that a cure is several(more likely 20 than 10 ) years away and that in the next few years the discovery of a drug that slows down the disease process is the best thing we can hope for. I think Turnip puts it succinctly in saying that the enormous amount of research into PD has given a better insight into the disease, but also shown its complexity and how much more needs to be done.
my neurologist changes with the wind,i hope she acts this way cus she has bad days and has some akward people before me.she has been positive towards me though,tells me that im a cheerful person and she is sorry that pd has hit me so young,says that i cope with it well.which in a way does make me feel bit beter she feels like that wot she sees of me,but im like all of you have my rottern days to,may be ive been in neuro room to cheerful,well all i put that down to is that im to polite when i walk in:rolling_eyes::smile:
very true Ali, being a neuro must be hell of a job at times.
I'm constantly being told how young I am. I dont know much about anything else he is saying, anyway I always leave feeling a bit more chipper.
I've also put my order for the jml ronco body iron back on hold.

Like I wish I had done with the yogurt maker,juicer (50 apples, £25, 2 hours washing up the thing,2 weeks redecorating kitchen = 1/2 glass of apple juice that was all scummy),roller measure,keyfinder (I cant whistle),pac-a-mac, etc.

Dont remember who gave the tip about taking levadopa meds with sparkling water, but it works. Dont know of the scientific reason, might even be psychosomatic, who cares works for me.

Sooty and I now say "Izzy wizzy lets get busy with the fizzy with a JML Ronco Roller Measure soda stream", well I say it. Sooty's the quiet one.

The tonic water concentrate is my favourite. Straight from the bottle.
My Neuro told me he could control my symptoms well for a long time, when asked 5-10 years). P.S. my huge smoothie maker is same hassle as Ecks machine.
Dear Polly and Eck,,
I suggest that you invest in a "Magic Bullet". Much smaller, quieter and easier to clean than those great big awful smoothie machines. They can also (if you read the book) make soups , hummus and lots of other good things. Also they are cheaper.