New diagnosis

Just got diagnosed with PD this week. Took a bit of getting used to although funnily was half expecting the diagnosis. Got the support of an amazing wife and family and trying to deal without medication at least in the short term and increasing exercise levels. Also have osteo-arthritis in both hips which causes pain and discomfort but will try to exercise even so. Diagnosis was quick from initially seeing GP to getting result this week was 10 weeks.

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the forum. Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Our website has got lots of information and advice for the newly diagnosed that you may want to take a look at: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons

We’d also recommend contacting our Helpline, as they’re able to advise on a wide range of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients and their families. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Hi Doug, welcome to the forum which I find very supportive. Like you I have arthritis in both hips and as we know this is challenging and exercise is sometimes very hard. Well sorry to say it gets no easier with PD. However just like exercise helps the arthritic hips it will also help your PD. You may find that you need a different exercise regime but don’t rush any changes, listen to your own body, it will tell you when change is needed. Hopefully you do exercise with a club / class as I found their support in the early days following my PD dx helped me through the first part of my new journey. Best of luck and keep positive and exercising :sunglasses: