NEW HERE

Hi everyone, My name is Jacky. I was diagnosed with PD 2 weeks ago. I am 62 and very emotional at the moment. My tears are always never far away right now. Please tell me that this is normal and that I will stop it soon. I just can’t seem to take it all in.

1 Like

Sounds like it’s been a big shock to you. It will take time to get used to the idea.

I’m perhaps unusual in that I was relieved to get my diagnosis. My symptoms were pointing to something much worse.

Hi Jacky,

Welcome to the forum. You are allowed to be emotional for as long as you like. It is a shock to be diagnosed. Just let the tears keep rolling if that’s how you feel. Just remember it won’t always be like that though. Things will start to calm down and you will begin to come to terms with it. I’m not saying that you have to come to terms with it but things will definitely calm down at some point. There is no right or wrong way to deal with a diagnosis but crying is part of the process.

Big hugs and best wishes.

1 Like

Hi Lizzy and thank you so much for your kind words. I know I will be kicking myself once I do accept and come to terms with this. Aoorecite your words though xx

Have a good old cry, it’s something that you have to do, it’s good to get it out of your system.
You will start to feel better about things soon and although it is a pain in the you know what it could be a lot worse.

Thank you Terrific - think am just in early stages of shock - xxx

I cried when I was diagnosed, but now, 5 years later, despite the progression of the condition, I’m in a very happy place. Once the initial shock goes away you will realise you can still have a wonderful life for many years to come.

Best wishes
JF

1 Like

Hi Jacky, one day at a time, there is so much to take in and initally the emotions are overwhelming, no doubt about it. Like you I was in the same place for a very long time, it became a new normal and a rollercoaster of emotions. If I were to offer any practical advice keep a diary, anything and everything, helped me with thinking out loud and a record to share with consultant and OT’s. I also found the First Steps programme on here invaulable, met some wonderful people, all in the same position, it helped to talk, share and know you are not alone. Take care and a virtual hug :smile:

1 Like

Love this JF, thank you :blush:

Aw thank you so much AnaElsa, great advice, which I will take on board. Tears are a little bit less now that I have talked to the group and listened to others. Looks like everyone has been here already. Thanks for your wise words. :blush:

You’ll feel better after you’ve robbed a few banks - that’s a quote from the film “Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid” which broadly means it will pass. All Things Must Pass (Remastered 2014) - YouTube

2 Likes

Hi Jackie, I was diagnosed at 40 years old, I am a female, fit as a fiddle with three children When I was diagnosed I didn’t know what to do, please feel free to contact me any time. Be positive x

1 Like

What a shame When i clicked the link it says video not available. Great words though and I am already feeling more positive. Thank you x

Thank you Annie, I really appreciate it xx

Hello Jacky
Tears are good - better out than held and pushed down - they are a honest emotion to a shock. I hope you’ve some family and friends around you to help and support you. Parkinson’s UK helpline also a great source of info and help. Best piece of info we received (it is my husband who has Parkinson’s) was you have the choice of where you are seen by a neurologist and their team. We researched and found Kings College Hospital South London is bench marked as a hospital of excellence in the treatment of Parkinson’s. Whilst it means a drive and train journey to get there it has been by far the best thing we have done.
In the meantime I wish you the very best on your unwanted journey and hopefully it won’t be as bad as you fear. Best Wishes Jane

2 Likes