Hi everyone this is my first post - my name is David , I'm 48 , and i am living in Dublin facing a huge dilemma and could do with some advice.
I was diagnosed about a year ago , not long after I found myself out of work - long story but I was on a lucrative fixed term contract abroad , and my employer chose not to renew for non related reasons ...I had been experiencing early signs prior to this, but not so much that it was effecting my ability to do the job - although i had become conscious of a mild tremor in my hand and occasional fatigue , i put this down to just a bit of stress and general lack of fitness, poor lifestyle etc However , once diagnosed i must confess it knocked me for 6 , and i spent several months in a horrible place feeling sorry for myself and draining the last of my cash reserves - to make things worse I've just been though a marriage separation and the financial pressures are now chronic.
Fast forward six months or so , I've managed to pick myself up , get fitter and healthier , and by and large the meds i am on are doing their thing and I'm getting on with it . Great , i hear you say !
After several months of looking for work , I've just been offered a senior job with a house hold name global IT company in a senior business development / sales role - SUBJECT TO MEDICAL ! The process involved several interviews and a final presentation to their senior management team against stiff competition. All of this I obviously managed to excel in , because they're offering me this job! Without doubt the position requires me to operate in a stressful environment , but that said , i am confident i can do this job well .....for the foreseeable future. In an ideal world I'd take a less stressful , less paid job, but for now I desperately need the earning power of this job.
Following advice I have gotten over the last several months from people in the business, and my own conclusions following long deliberation , i am definitely going to be proactive and disclose the Parkinsons up front before the medical , and take my chances. My hope is that they will take the view that I have successfully managed to sell myself to them , so i can sell their services to their customers.
I guess my question is , do any of you guys know what legal obligations they have (or do not have ) in terms of their ability to withdraw the offer ? My guess is that the "subject to Medical" covers them , so now my dilemma is one of whether Parkinson's is on the black list of a typical global corporation ? Other advice I have been given is that if they are reluctant to offer me an employment contract (as they may see me as a problem down the line) , that maybe I should suggest a "fixed term" contract, say yearly , ie let them try and buy .....if I am not performing down the line they can simply decide not to renew .........
I guess i am rambling a bit now , but i hope you get the gist of my challenge - i really need this job badly so any advice / information/ experience would be most welcome ?