New Member Checking In

Hi All,

I don’t suppose my story is much different to most people here, but at the risk of boring everyone, here goes…

I was diagnosed with PD in Sept '19 at the age of 61, after having been referred to a neurologist by my GP when I was suffering with very stiff leg muscles. At the time, I could barely walk 200 yards before my legs would begin to painfully seize up. Following the diagnosis, I was prescribed Sinamet+, which has done a lot to ease my symptoms. I can now manage to walk a mile or so at a good pace.

After the diagnosis and taking into account the tests the neurologist carried out, I now realise that other symptoms I was experiencing were likely due to PD. These included some difficulty in hand-writing and slight stiffness in arm muscles, though these weren’t as bad as I eventually got in the legs. Thinking about them, I believe my PD had been present for at least 2 years prior to diagnosis.

I had tended to put these symptoms down to the stress I was suffering at the time, due to caring for elderly parents, especially my father, who had been bed-ridden and suffering from dementia for some years, although he has now passed away, and carrying on with a full-time job as well. I suppose I should have seen a doctor earlier, but PD is not something you really think could affect you - I mean, isn’t it one of those conditions some other poor bugger gets, not me?

So over the last few years with all the above going on, I got very little exercise, so the mile-walks I mentioned above are a mini-triumph for me now. I’m trying to build them up as time goes on and I get a little fitter.

Luckily, the firm I work for have been very supportive, both in respect of when I’ve needed time off to support my parents, and after my diagnosis. I have discussed with them the possibilities of going part-time or taking early retirement. I am still pondering these options, obviously finances being a significant factor, but the same time I’d like to be able to have more time to myself to enjoy life - like being able to get out fishing more often or build that model railway I’ve always wanted to - before things deteriorate too much. A difficult choice ahead I think, and I can’t really get my head around it at the moment.

Oh well, that’s enough from me for now. Take care everyone.

Pete.

Welcome to the Forum Pete,

Having a supportive network is so important, you have that here!

Take care of yourself

Annie

Hi pete
Welcome ime 59 diagnosed with pd xmas 2019 i work full time ime out of condition at moment but looking to join gym soon i only have left hand arm tremor but more embarrassing than trouble sorry to hear you have pd but hey not wnd of the world i dont need meds as of yet but we’ve all got our own journey its great your walking so far keep it up but dont overdo things .
All the best, cal1960

Hello Pete just to say weelcome and instinct says you’ll be ok, I think you have the right attitude and positive outlook which I strongly believe makes a difference and you are addressing the issue head on with your employers etc. Deciding what to do about work and when is a huge deal and a difficult decision make sure you get all the information you need to make the decision that is right for you. There is a lot of info on the Parkinson’s UK site but I would encourage you to ring the helpline and talk to someone. They are very knowledgeable and may be able to help clarify your thinking. Good luck and let us know how you get on

Hi my name is Danny I am 55 years old I have not been diagnosed with PD as I am finding it hard to get an appointment with my GP at the minute but I feel I am showing some symptoms. I have had hand tremors for many years now but didn’t think much of it. In the last few years I have had problems with sciatica and neck pain. My bout of sciatica was severe and left me with permanent foot drop. As I am writing this now I have abdominal cramps and often get cramps in my hands and legs. I am still actively working but every day is a struggle now especially with fatigue. I would just like to know if my situation is similar to anyone else on here. With the current situation I don’t want to waste my GPs time thank you for reading this.

Hi @Buckie2915

Thank you for your post, I am sure people will soon share their experiences. However I would suggest that you do make contact with your GP, it is too important not to and many GP’s are offering online appointments in the first instance and then a face to face if they deem it necessary.

Kind regards

Sue - moderation team

1 Like

Thank you I will try my best to see my GP

Hia, welcome, it’s a worrying time for you, been there, I’m still waiting for a confirmed diagnosis after a DAT scan in May and started meds in August this year,all after a shoulder injury and surgery last November. Lots of advice on here from some wonderful people and resources page. If I can offer any advice I would (as recommended to me from a post on here) keep a diary so when you do get to see your GP you have all your information to hand, appointments seem to be very limited with C19 at the moment so it’s about getting as much out of the time you have with your GP to discuss, I kept a note of everything from sleep pattern, tremors, constipation, weight loss, mood and emotion and any periods of total exhaustion, any range or limitations of what you can’t reach, I really struggle wiht my left side, Hope this helps and you manage to see your GP soon, take care

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply. I have started taking notes off my day and will try my best to speak to my GP probably Friday. My symptons are very similar as my tremors are more prominent on my left arm /hand also I have just returned to work after being off for 7 weeks with a muscle tear on my left shoulder. Even though my shoulder has seemed to have healed the pain in my legs and neck (right side) has worsened and have been feeling quite emotional at times. I’m really glad I have found this forum as it gives me hope and made me determined to see my GP. Thanks again hopefully speak soon.

1 Like