New member

Hi I am Lynn, my husband was diagnosed PD almost 2 years ago, he is 64 I am 53.
We have 2 boys who live at home with us, the youngest is still at school.
Since diagnosis my husband has had to give up his job as a coach driver and we have lost 1/3 of his income. I am a nurse and I have been working full time and some to make ends meet but we are really struggling financially and we are not entitled to any state help.I am happy to work and I would not have it any other way but I cant earn enough to pay our mortgage and all the other bills
Is anyone in the same position?

Hi Lynn,
I am not sure whether they will be able to assist you but, if you haven’t already done so, I would advise you to contact “Social Services” and “Age UK”. Ask if they can send someone to discuss with you whether there are any “Benefits” for which you and/or your husband may qualify. Nothing ventured - nothing gained. Best of Luck. Gerrard

Hi Lynn
Have you looked at PIP (personal independence payment)? Your husband will need to be under the State Pension age in order to claim but it has certainly helped me.

1 Like

Recently he had an assessment and he was declined due to the fact that he was able to walk into the centre, albeit slowly and although he cannot cut food up or handle anything hot he can put a filling between 2 slices if bread so in their opinion he can prepare a meal!!

Hi Lynn, welcome to the forum. You need to speak to Citizens Advice, they helped us no end with getting to claim for different stuff that we didn’t know we were entitled to, including Carers Allowance. Also get in touch with your local Parkinson’s Nurse who with you being a Nurse should be able to find out who it is, they will answer any questions you may have. For what it’s worth I was a Lorry Driver and can sympathise with your husband, I was diagnosed at 58(I am 66 now). You will find on here about Newly Diagnosed which may also help you. As i’ve told other newbies on here, we’re all in the same boat and we try to help each other by offering advice and friendship. Don’t be afraid to shout for help we are all listening.


1 Like

Hi @lynn3,

A warm welcome to the forum.

I’m glad to see that you’ve received such great advice from other members, I do hope you take them all onboard. If you’d like to learn more about personal independent payment we have a lot of useful information on our website here -

Also, if you need any additional support on this, please give our confidential helpline a call on 0808 800 0303 - our advisers will be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes,
Forum Community Manager

You need to see someone experienced in the benefits available to you, PIP, carers allowance etc. if your man is struggling to walk then make sure you tick it off . You will need to be assessed for pip and if you get the option for a home assessment be sure to parade the aids he needs to get around, walking stick, frame . wheelchair, make sure the assessor can see them, get one of those baby cups and make tea while he/she is there. emphasise his problems. Make sure he has all the little gadgets he needs to get through each day put a stool in the shower, tell them he can’t carry anything or make a simple meal . tell them that you make up his medication and supervise him taking them, you also take care of the finances just in case. you assist him getting dressed/undressed. tell them if he uses hearing aids,tell them he wont walk outside for fear of not being able to get back if his legs give up the ghost. Above all don’t be afraid. I have had 2 pip assessments and sailed through them both. I didn’t get out of my chair once. I get the full monty now

1 Like