New to group - saying hello

Hi, I was diagnosed with PD a couple of years ago but am new to the forum. I'm 44 and work full-time, with three children aged 12,10 and 8. I'm in the process of separating from my wife, who moves out in a couple of weeks, but I have been the main child carer for some time as she has lots of her own issues to deal with. I do feel apprehensive though, given that it will be a tough time for them too. It was recommended that I take the dopamine agonist pramipexole recently but it made me feel very ill so I stopped quickly. I run and play squash as my right side is unaffected (I'm left-handed when writing though so can't even sign my name properly). I'm trying to be positive and am taking the children to see friends in the US soon. But to be honest I'm also very worried and alone and wondered if anyone has any advice or knows any groups I could join. It's difficult though because being parent to three children and working does not leave much time.

Hi Hanny,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you're feeling worried and alone. You'll find lots of friendly members here with great advice for you.

Meanwhile, you may find our Support area useful. If you enter your postcode you can find your nearest support groups here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/content/support-you.

Also, please do feel free to call our Helpline on 0808 800 0303 if you want to chat to someone. We are open from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm and Saturday: 10am-2pm.

Best wishes,

Edwina

Moderation Team 

Hello Hanny,

Like you I was diagnosed in my 40's at 47 I had pretty much worked it out for myself by the time i saw my neuro but it still was a huge smack in the mouth. I have since then June 2013 been in study mode learning as much as i can cope with to me knowledge is power it enables me to help me as well as anyone else whom may be struggling.

I within a few months joined my local support group branch in Lincoln and can honestly say i would have cracked under the strain of it all.

i am now on the committee and also run with another member our local working age group and I am the youngest member of the branch at 50.

Having someone to talk to whom is going through the same sort of thing as you has really made a big difference to me, I wholeheartedly recommend  joining your local branch if the members are anything like ours in Lincoln you will not go wrong.

If you need to talk feel free to private message me and I will be only to happy to help in anyway I can.

Regards BB. 

Thanks BB, I have looked into possible groups and there is one that meets in Essex once a month. Having three kids and working means it's nearly impossible to devote the time I need to to this. Will private message you if I can work out how!

Your employers have a duty of care to give you as much support as possible I found with my ex employers redundancy got me when I requested the time to go to my branch which was only 1 meeting per month they were obliged to grant me the time off but to show I was playing it fair I always made the time up. Best wishes BB.

Hanny - there is also a young parkinsons internet group. They are very active on social media and meet up also. They are based in the UK twitter @youngpdnetwork Lovely bunch of peeps

Thanks for letting me know SwissMiss, I'll get in touch with the group and let you know how I get on.