New to the Forum

Hi, I'm 53 and a happily married mum of 2 boys aged 19 and 23 years who are both at home. I was diagnosed last month and suspected PD for a couple of months before that. My family and friends have been very supportive but with very mixed reactions when I told friends. Some very matter of fact. Some in tears and OMG type reactions.I also have scoliosis. I've worked for the NHS as a nurse and now community nurse for over 30 years. I'm being very proactive and trying to remain positive. Some days are better than others. I'm taking 125mg Madopar x3 daily.I saw Dr OMER at Kingston hospital Surrey and found him very personable and knowledgable. I think the Forum is a great idea.
hi trewlawney

forgive the spelling if i got it wrong. welcome to the club. very selective by invitation only.
how are you coping?
interesting the drop in use of dopamine agonists .
cheers
hiya welcome to the forum,im ali im 43 and been dx 12 years.puk is great for help,and surport for yourself and also friends and family.being a nurse is advange i guess,nowing more about the disease,having a great dr helps loads,i wish you luck and hope to see more of you around the forum,if any questions need to be asked dont hesitate to ask,there are many members willing to give advice and surport to one another:smile:
Hello Trelawney,

Welcome to the forum where you will find lots of information and support from a wide variety of pwp's depending where they are in this new pathway of life.
Glad to know that you are positive in attitude and have a good doctor as this condition is all about good management both with the medication and attitude.
With your nursing experience you may find that you can contribute a lot over the coming years.
Just to let you know who I am, my husband has had PD for thirty years and is still only 69 years old, so you can see we have lived most of our life with it. We have a son who is 40 years old now so he has not really known life without pd. I am also disabled with a chronic back from working in a hospital back in the 70's but am very independent still drive and hoist my wheelchair into the car to get about.I used to run a branch for 16 years, now retired from that but keep busy sorting out problems for my husband as he is now in a nursing home.
If you can do anything which would really benefit pwp's it would be to get a greater understanding of the condition by the professionals especially nurses and carer's in hospitals and homes.
My very best wishes
vivian