New to this

Hi every one I ha just diagnosed with Parkinson’s I was wondering if anybody has any usful information for me what to expect thank you in advance

Hi Alone36
Welcome to the forum.
The main thing to bear in mind is that PD affects everyone differently, so unfortunately there’s no hard and fast rule about anything. But it does take a while to get used to and to accept the diagnosis.
However there’s loads of really useful information at parknsons uk.
Take it slowly, there’s no rush to look it all up at once and there’s usually someone on the forum to chat to about most things. Good luck Daffy

1 Like

Hi Alone36,
Its overwhelming when you get a diagnosis of PD. Take a minute and slowly digest the information you’ve been given. As Daffy says everyone progresses at a different pace and with varying ailments.
The best thing to do at the beginning is look at your diet and exercise routine. Keep active and interact with people
This forum and fb sites are good as the people who know best are those with PD.

1 Like

hi everybody thank you for your encouraging words just thinking trying to get my head around new diagnoses finding it hard with 6 kids to care for a husband who doesn’t admit to anything is wrong I’m in Australia originally from Ireland have no family no support

Hi @Alone36,

A warm welcome to the forum.

I’m glad to see that you’ve already received great advice from other members. Just to echo what @Daffy said, Parkinson’s affects everyone differently so please proceed with this in mind. We have a ‘newly diagnosed’ section on the website which has a lot of information that will be relevant to you.

I’d also advise you to contact our helpline service to speak to one of our trained advisers and they’ll be able to help you with any queries that you may have.

I hope you find the information above useful.

Best wishes,
Reah

1 Like

Hi Alone36,

You certainly have alot on your plate. I’m Irish, living in UK. So not far from home. Try investigate if there is access to a PD nurse where you are. Not sure if you’re in a remote area or not. Look up PD warrior classes (they originate from Oz). They are a great help and the people will be on the younger side and early onset.
You’re husband, im sure just wants you to stay the way you are. He probably thinks by talking about it that it will upset you. That’s what mine said to me when i felt he wasn’t interested.
If you want to message me, feel free.

1 Like

Hi Alone36
I was diagnosed in January, so know exactly how you are feeling. I have had chronic arthritis for many years, and nothing very much seems to have changed, and I too am wondering what to expect. think we need to take every day s it comes and not try to look too far ahead. I suppose a lot depends on one’s age - I am 82 - but still enjoying life. Not knowing what lies ahead is a bit daunting.but I am sure we wil be able to deal with it in due course. In the meantime this Forum keeps me connected and offer useful info.
Good luck
Knine.

1 Like