New users

Hi all. New member here. Not sure I’m even posting in the right place. My dad has recently been suffering with really bad leg pain. Went to see a doctor and had blood tests and they come back with lack of vitamin d. Was given vitamin tablets to improve levels but these don’t seem to have worked. Some days he says he struggles to get out of bed because of a burning sensation/pain both feet ( original pain was in his thighs which he still has)
His walking is also getting worse as he is very unsteady on his feet and has been for a while.
Had another appointment with the doctor this week but this time my sister went with him. He, just out of the blue, admitted to the doctor that he thinks he may have pd. The doctor did some basic tests with his fingers ( touch your nose, touch finger to finger etc ) even tested his prostate. Doctor then sent him for more blood tests. He gets the results on Friday.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? What are the blood tests for? What are the next steps?
Sorry for all the questions and me rambling on but just a bit lost at the moment and don’t know what to do next

Hi Gareth, welcome to the forum. It may help to take a look at our website, where you can find information on all the major Parkinson’s symptoms: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/parkinsons-symptoms

You can also find information on exactly how Parkinson’s is diagnosed: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/how-parkinsons-diagnosed

You might also try contacting our Helpline, who can offer information and advice on a wide range of issues. The email address is [email protected], or you can call FREE on 0808 800 0303 - lines are open Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, and Saturday: 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Hi Gareth sorry to hear about your dad’s situation.
If the gp suspects pd he will make a referral to a neurologist.
As for all the blood tests, that is usually just to rule out any other possibilities for your dad’s symptoms.
And yes you are in the right place, there is plenty of advice on the forum and you should take advantage of the helpline as the moderator has suggested.
I hope things start to become clearer soon.
Tommy :pill: :pill: :pill: