New

Many thanks for letting me join the forum
I’ve had a tremor in my right hand for possibly two years now , mine is certainly not a pill rolling type of tremor , the rhythm of the tremor varies in speed , when I had my first visit with the doctor she said I can see a resting tremor and a action tremor , I was referred to Walton neurological department 18 months ago and the neurologist said he didn’t think it was Parkinson’s , but was referred for a MRI scan that showed nothing serious , then roughly about 12 months ago I started having really odd dreams some scary ,some funny and most seem to be going back in time too my younger days , I was referred back to Walton and had a phone conversation with neurologist , he referred me to a sleep clinic , I had the test done and showed I have mild obstructive sleep apnea , (14 episodes per hour) , I have a CPAP machine to pick up next Thursday , now my tremor in my right hand is still there and have noticed a slight tremor starting in my left hand , it’s not consistent in my left not like my right hand that is always there until I go to bed , I’ve been suffering from a pain in my left shoulder for sometime with pins and needles down my arm, the pain also is on the left side of my next , I have a appointment with a physio next Friday afternoon , this will be the second time I’ve seen him in 12 months over shoulder problem …
My question is are all tremors associated with Parkinson’s a pill rolling type ? Due to the high cases of covid in North Wales getting to see a doctor is near impossible , my contact with physio next week is over the phone … obviously due to the covid situation I fully understand the situation a lot of people are in …I can forget things at times but I’m not getting any younger so I put that down to age :joy:
It’s just getting me frustrated at not getting any positive answers at the moment ,the doctor told me over the phone that OSA shouldn’t cause any tremors
Sorry to babble on
And many thanks

1 Like

Hello Meds :slightly_smiling_face:

That does sound frustrating. Hope you get some answers soon.

1 Like

Hi @Meds Welcome to the forum. As is so often stated on here, everyone is different there isn’t one thing that defines a Parky sufferer. Take me, I have memory lapses at times and it’s not because of my age(68), also I dribble(no, i’m no footballer !!), when I walk it looks as though i’m drunk, I do have a resting tremor in my left leg and my tongue has a mind of its own sometimes in that it sometime falls out of my mouth when doing something. Add to this I have a Deep Brain Stimulator fitted which helps with the Parky. So no two people are alike on here but we all do our bit to help people such as your good self. Take care and stay safe.

Les

Thanks Les , that’s good information ,I’m picking up a CPAP machine Thursday , I’m going to see if anything changes after using this , doctors told me the tremor has nothing to do with my sleep problem ,that I find a bit confusing , as I was referred by Walton to get a sleep test done and my previous doctor specifically told me the dreams where connect to the tremor … hopefully will start getting some answers soon
Med

Hi,
How long can this virus be used not to see people face to face?? :grimacing: Masseuses and acupuncturist are working, There is no excuse. My husband was diagnosed on symptons alone 13 years ago and from what I recall it had to be 3 to tick the PD box. He started initially with a frozen shoulder so I suggest you insist on a face to face physio appointment.
I hope you get some clarity on it soon as it must be worrying not knowing.
All the best Meg

Thanks Meg and totally agree with you , I had a appointment with physio and would you believe it over the phone regarding shoulder problem , because I’ve started on (Thursday) on CPAP machine (due to sleep problems)he’s told me to wait three weeks after starting sleep therapy to see if my shoulder pain eases :see_no_evil: it’s just a vicious circle at the moment and I’m not getting any further ,I honestly can’t see a CPAP machine sorting my shoulder issue out , though I’m no expert ,will see what happens
Med

Update
It’s almost 2 months now since using a CPAP machine , my episodes have dropped from 14 to a variances between 2.5 and 4.5 , my tremor in right hand is still there ,no different in the tremor , I notice it gets worse when I’ve been active doing something ie working in garden etc
I had a appointment with physio about 4 weeks ago and seemed more concerned about my left shoulder problem that I’ve been having for sometime now , I’ve now been referred to have a Electromyography for tests on my nerves and muscle disorders if any as my left arm can go completely numb at times with pins and needles and can be painful, also the pain radiates to the neck .
Unfortunately as the physio told me there’s a long waiting time for appointment , and still waiting for a date to be seen :see_no_evil: so again I’m still none the wiser , it’s so frustrating …

Hi Meds,
After all this time, you would hope to be more wiser to whats going on. Am frustrated for you too. Hang in there
Esme

1 Like

Hi Meds
I have to say that sounds a total shambles to me and that you are just being passed from pillar to post. In your shoes I would be frustrated and not a little bit fed up. Unfortunately I am not sure what you can do.
I did wonder if it might be helpful to draw up some kind of chart with all the symptoms, tests, results and the various opinions you have been given so that it is all in one place and you have a complete picture to show whoever you next see and try to get them to look at your situation as a whole instead of piecemeal as seems to be the case from how you’ve written about things. It may not make any difference of course but on the other hand maybe it will all make sense to someone when seen altogether. It might be worth a try.
Tot
Just an afterthought if you have a decent GP and can get a f2f appointment maybe show it to them just to see what they think. It has to be a f2f I think which is rather unlikely for most just now but I don’t think it would stand any chance any other way. Good luck if you try it

1 Like

Hello thanks for letting me join i have had shaking in my left hand and foot im going for a Dat scan soon ,my neurologist thinks I may have essential tremor but the symptoms I have aren’t like what iv read about it its so frustrating my gp thinks its parkinsons iv had symptoms for 4 years I had to wait a year to see the neurologist so I will be relieved to know what it is

Hi Aprilmay123
If it is Parkinsons, then you will find your symptoms will differ from everyone else’s. And intensity. Stay calm and see what unfolds. Come back to us and let us know
please. Good luck
Esme

Hi esme I had my datscan and it came back normal but no follow up appointment as yet so I’m confused as I have pd symptoms but no wiser I contacted my gp and they going to see what yhe follow up will be trying to stay positive

Hello Aprilmay123
I’ve just caught up with your post and was pleased to see you are trying to stay positive, that however can be difficult when you want the certainty of a diagnosis and you end up with more questions than answers. I have written about this elsewhere on the forum but thought it worth mentioning to you as it may help you cope in a small way at least.

Whatever your final diagnosis in a way doesn’t matter as far as I am concerned, because to me the key factor in living and managing with a chronic condition is to stay positive. It’s not everyone’s way but it works for me. The problem is that can be easier said than done because your brain is extremely powerful and when you are going through a hard time the negative voice can often become the stronger voice and overwhelm. Recognising this can help restore some balance as can recognising the roller coaster of emotions - they are all legitimate but only hearing the negative voice can be very damaging.

Try not to dwell too much on the no man’s land you are currently in. It won’t change the eventual diagnosis instead try concentrating on the reality of what you think and feel pending your diagnosis, write it down if it helps to see when the negative side is gaining the upper hand; you may even begin to see patterns of when the negative part is stronger - when you are tired perhaps, or maybe when you look at the calendar and see another two weeks have passed, or just having an off day.

I know it can all sound a bit abstract but recognising what is going on can help both before and after diagnosis. As I say it’s not everyone’s way, but since it is something yourself have identified, I thought I would chuck in my tuppece worth. If you read a few of my posts you will quickly discover it is a recurring theme.

I hope you don’t have to wait too long to long to find out what is going on and if this approach works for you, I hope you’ll find as I do what a strong tool it can be.

As Esme said, do let us know how you are getting on.
Take care.
Tot

1 Like

I had various symptoms back and forward to the doctors for months. I saw a chiropractor and was diagnosed spinal. Stenosis and Parkinson’s in about 20 mins. Worth a try!