Newbie and symptoms

Hi newbie here, (im 47) 6 years ago i had the most horrendous pain in my sholder area but it passed later that day, i then went out for drinks on the same night i was rather intoxicated lol the nxt day i started to get back pain and it got worse the following few days i was examined and told i had broke a rib?? I dont know how i assumed i must of fallen while drunk,…anyway fast foward and i was aching in my lower back/ hips/knees/arms i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and hypermobility to this day i still dnt believe this is what it is. Since this all began i lost my sense of smell, have constant constipation, pins and needles,burning numbness in different areas of my body my short term memory is horrendous I developed a limp, my balance is becoming a problem my voice has changed lower quieter. I get random spasms and stiffness in my left arm also Last November i started to get numbness, pain and stiffness in left arm along with action tremor so i seen a different physiotherapist and she done some tests and referred me to a neurologist as i didnt realise what kind of issues i really had my left leg also has a tremor. I am now awaiting an appointment to see what is going on, i have noticed my tremor is really bad when im tired,stressed or over do things. Can these symptoms come and go as it seems to calm down for a day but then start allover again, also when pushing a shopping trolley my arm stiffness right up its so uncomfortable. Can anyone give me any answer as to wether they have/had theses symptoms plzzz

Hi @Jayejaye75 and welcome to our forum. That’s a lot to contend with and I’m very sorry to hear you have so many things going on at the same time. This is a friendly place and I’m sure our members will want to welcome you and support you based on their own experiences. I’d also encourage you to explore our website and search for the different symptoms you are describing. You may find some useful tips for coping.

Don’t forget that you can always call our helpline and speak to an adviser who is ready to listen and to support you. You can reach the helpline on 0808 800 0303.

Welcome again and take care,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

1 Like

Hi @Jayejaye75, Welcome to the Forum, I can relate to some of your problems as i’ve been there done that & got the t-shirt so to speak. LOL With regards tremor, there are a number of tablets you can take, i’m on Madopar but your Neurologist will give you something, if it doesn’t help, get back on to their Secretary asap. I have a resting tremor in my left foot. On constipation I take Isphagula Husk or you can take Fybogel, both work or you can try Senokot, check out the constipation topic. I also speak quietly, drives my wife mad(she has Tinnitus !!), also I have balance issues but i’m doing a trial looking into it. Memory lapse also is something I also have !!

Everyone with Parkinsons is different but before you go to your appointment with the Neurologist, make a list of all your ailments plus any questions you want to ask. Armed with this you will be prepared for what is to come, the Neurologist will have you doing all sorts of tests to gauge how bad your condition is. They will then prescribe your medication which you will pick up from the hospital pharmacy on your way out. It would be worth your while to ask your GP Surgery if they can put you in contact with a Parkinsons Nurse in your area, a useful person to know. As @JaniceP has mentioned we’re a friendly bunch so anytime you want to ask anything, you know where we are. Take care, stay safe.

Les

Thank you so much for your reply it has answered a few questions :blush: i have been making a note of symptoms for some time now as i know something isnt right but never seemed to get any answer it was always its your fibromyalgia, since when do you get neurological issues with fibromyalgia honestly ive been banging my head against the wall and not getting anywhere for over a year now as things are becoming worse. Im so grateful for the physiotherapist picking up on a few things she was great.Today i had to buy a walking stick from boots as my balance is ridiculous and im thinking this will help which i think it did…time will tell lol. Yeah i also get “sorry what was that” and have to repeat a few times which gets me annoyed lol ive noticed im easily annoyed now and have to bite my lip so i dont bite anyones head off i feel awful if i do as thats just not me im a laid back silly bugger tbh lol. Your poor wife i have tinnitus but it seems to be worse in the evening and with my low voice its not so fantastic trying to have a conversation hehehe. Good to talk to someone who is feeling similar just so i know im actually not going insane

Hi @Jayejaye75 happy to have been of service, at 69(any way you fancy in Bingo parlance) !! I relate my experiences having had the disease for almost 11 years. I have a Deep Brain Stimulator fitted which helps with the tremor but I was only put forward for this because I had tried umpteen different medications & I also have a Dystonic Tremor. Yes, i’m a greedy so & so having two tremors, the DBS & Madopar controlling the Parky side but i’ve yet to find help with Dystonia but for this I may have to go back under for more Brain Surgery which given my age is very daunting. Like you I sometimes have difficulty making myself heard & my speech isn’t that clear at times though i’m trying, VERY trying at times, it is worse when wearing a covid mask. LOL With my wife I have to be in the same room facing her for her to understand me, plus I sometimes talk away from me & it drives her crazy !!

We picked up some old walking sticks years ago, they were my wife’s Mother’s, we took them doing the house clearance but fortunately I don’t need them at the moment so they’re in a cupboard gathering dust, just in case !! For the first time in 3 years I tried getting back into Flat Green Bowls 2 weeks ago, I did okay but 3 days later I was in agony for 4 days with pain in my waist which was how I finished up pre-pandemic. One thing I will tell you to is to try to be positive in your daily life, you have Parkinsons it doesn’t have you !!

Les

1 Like