Newly diagnosed family member

Hi everyone, one of my close family has recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease so I have joined the forum to gain insight on how I can support them, the rest of my family and understand more about the disease. We are at the start of the treatment and management plan and being able to read the experiences of others and the support network available is reassuring.

Hi and welcome to the forum, @SarahLC1. How lucky is your family member to have your support like this. You’ll find our members friendly and helpful and they’ll be happy to chat to you about their own experiences as People with Parkinson’s and as carers.

You’ll find lots of information on our website about treatment and management of Parkinson’s. As well you’ll be interested in our page about caring for someone with Parkinson’s. It’s very important to understand more, as you say, but equally important to know what to expect as a carer and how to take care of yourself.

Very best wishes,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

Hello Sarah
I don’t come on here too often, but just saw your post. My mum was diagnosed with Parkinson’s a year ago, she is 84. It’s very hard watching a close relative struggle isn’t it, a real rollercoaster of emotions.
If you want to chat I’d be happy for support also.
All the very best to you
Pam

Hello SarahLC1

A rather belated welcome to the forum. I have only just caught up with your July post, and I do hope that things are beginning to settle down for you all, or that they are at least heading in the right direction.
Malteser is entirely right in their reply and Janice P has signposted you for information You don’t give any details on your close family member and it does depend on individual circumstances so you will need to consider this accordingly but the best advice I can give you especially in the early days is take your cue from the person with Parkinson’s. They may look awkward or slow and they may be both but it doesn’t mean they can’t do something. I generalise of course but most people with Parkinson’s like to maintain their independence and come to terms with their diagnosis and what it means in their own way and in their own time. Let them know you will help if they want it, if they want to talk you’ll listen but most of all just ĺet them be the person you always cared about. Let them take the lead and follow that lead however hard that may be to see. Let them remain a loved family member who now just happens to have Parkinson’s and who you will be there for just as you always have.
Tot